Chapter 8

Liam woke when the sun light started to creep on the back of his eyelids. Wiping his face, he sat up, being in the middle of the pile his brother's started. Lane and Logan laid to his left still sound asleep, Lucas stirred when he sat up, his brown eyes still cloudy with sleep.

"What time is it?"

"Time for you to get up," Liam said ruffling his brother's blond hair. He woke the other two gently, Lane was less than enthusiastic to rise this early, but he did so anyway. When they started to leave the room there were two men in King's Guard armor outside his door. Ser Coxley and Ser Hampshire nodded to their princes and the boys nodded back.

"Let's find our parents," Liam said picking up Lane and heading down the hallway. Their security detail followed behind them as they approached the chambers with their parents. Ser Everwood was outside their door, sleep starting to march its way into his eyes. They exchanged nods before the four entered their parent's chamber. The king was at the table already sipping on some wine, the queen was finishing pinning up her hair.

Liam put Lane down and the boy ran straight for his mother asking when they would get to eat. "Soon, your uncle said he would come get us himself when it's ready." The queen knelt and brushed a piece of hair out of her youngest son's eyes. Liam smiled watching his mother and his brothers. He was lucky to have a family that loved each other. His father loved and doted on his mother who loved him back, and while the king was reserved with his affection with his sons their mother's love and care more than made up for it.

He had to turn away, because he was leaving them and that was starting to tear away at his resolve. He knew that it would break his mother's heart what he was going to do, it would anger his father to make swift decisions that left no room for logic, and it would scare his brothers for his safety. Yet it had to be done. If he kept looking at his mother, she would be able to tell that something wasn't right, and it would open room for questions he didn't have the heart to answer.

It was perfect timing too, because he could hear Vipin and Bran outside the door. Saying a small "excuse me" he left the room. The other guards were gone, walking down the hallways to get some rest. Vipin and Bran leaned against the walls on either side of the door, rubbing their temples.

"Rough night?" Liam asked them, eyeing them suspiciously.

"Do you have to be so loud?" Bran asked while Vipin groaned closing her eyes.

"So, what was it?"

"Dolvita."

"Oh well you know you can't handle your dark liquors Vip."

"Don't talk to me," Vipin hissed pressing her face against the cool walls.

"How much?"

"The whole bottle I think."

"I thought it was only half," Vipin added defensively.

"No, the bottle was empty this morning," Bran shook his head wiping sweat from his palms.

"Gods. Well, you two better shape up. Marcus will be here any minute for first meal." This got Vipin's attention and Liam looked at her expectantly. They knew what they had to do at first meal, what they had to tell the king. So, she stood straight and gained her composure against her irritated stomach and throbbing head.

As if hearing him being summoned, they could hear Marcus' footsteps echoing down the hallway. Liam entered the room again announcing to his family that their escort to first meal was here. So, the royal family collected themselves and made pleasant morning exchanges with their host before following him to the dining hall.