Chapter 4

Dinner was so silent

Dinner was so silent. No one said anything with each other and it got more and more awkward.

I never had any argument with my parents and never left home in anger like I did today. I'm still mad about this whole topic but I feel so guilty for not listening to them. They are my parents after all. I have to talk to them sometime even if it's not today. I can't stay like this for too long. Or I at least have to talk to them for the sake of me. If I don't talk to them I'm going to lose my weight a few pounds for sure. I don't even know how to cook for myself.

Perks of not learning how to cook when you should.

Whatever.

After dinner everyone sat on the couch in the living room watching some random movie. It's like a tradition that mumma made us to be habituated to spend some time with everyone at home after dinner. Either by watching a movie or talking about how we spent our day. I'm gonna teach the same thing to my children too for sure.

But I broke the rule yesterday. To which I'm feeling guilty. It was so awkward watching TV with them in pure silence. It feels like I'm attending my non-existent ex’s wedding without being invited. I sighed not wanting the guilt to kill me anymore. So I decided it's the right time to break the ice. I cleared my throat to which they shifted their attention to me.

I hesitated but said the words anyways.

“I’m sorry, I should not have left like that this morning.”

“See didn't I say to you, she will talk first. So I won!!” mumma said turning to baba with a smile that stretched up to her ears.

Baba put his hands in his pockets and handed her a few notes saying, “Alright you won, here’s the money.” She took the notes from his hand and counted to see whether if all the money is there.

Once done counting she looked at them with what looked like satisfaction all over her face while baba slumped in his seat with a defeated expression.

I was so confused. I didn't understand a word they are talking right now.

“Wait, what bet? what are you guys talking about?” I asked looking at them.

Mumma looked at me smiling. “Nothing, it's just me and your baba had a bet on who will talk first. He said, you will not talk to me at dinner but I made a bet of five thousand rupees that you will.” she said fanning the cash notes to her face proudly.

“You apologised and your mumma won.” baba said with a pout. They made a bet on me? when I'm thinking it's my fault for any of this happened. When I'm feeling guilty for defending myself.

Unbelievable. I pray no child gets such a day. No child gets to experience this.

Ameen.

“You were betting on me sitting here, while I couldn’t even get to focus on work because of hunger and guilt. Did you at least think about whether I ate or not? Jeez I can't believe you.” I said folding my arms and turning away from them.

Mumma opened her mouth to say something but I beat her to it. “No need to say anything mumma. You proved to me you don't care, only Kaddu bhai is your son. You don't love me.” I said dramatically shoving my hand into her face and stopping her from whatever she was going to say. “You don't need to explain to me anything anymore.”

“Don’t talk like that Amy, we love you. it's just we didn't want to make this situation more awkward.” mumma pushed my hand aside and hugged me.

“Really? is it true.” I asked sniffing my nose and hugging her back.

“Yes Amy and you know how much your mumma had resisted herself to not call you.” baba said patting my head.

“Then why didn't you?” I asked lifting my head and looking at her.

She then exchanged a glance with baba before looking at me back. “Amy, you trust us right. We love you more than you think.”

I made myself straight. I know where this topic is going.

“We want you to be happy. We don't care about anything or anyone, except you and your brother. Do you think we can think of something that would harm you or make you unhappy?” she said lifting my chin.

“No mumma. I know you will never think of me that way.”

“Then do you believe and respect the decisions we take to make you happy?” she looked at me hopefully cupping my face.

“Yes, I believe you and respect all your decisions.” I said looking down.

“Then please get married Amy,” her voice is so low with pleading.

I didn't respond to her and kept looking down.

“or at least meet the boy we chose for you.” Baba added. They both were looking at me expectantly.

What are you gonna say?

I fidgeted with my fingers while biting on my bottom lip. I looked at them to see they are hoping for a positive answer.

I'm trapped now, ain't I?

I turned my face to them and said “Okay, do as you want.”

They both hugged each other and jumped up and down in excitement as if someone offered them a billion dollars and a big mansion with unlimited food & wi-fi.

“Don't worry beta, marry him only if you like. No one will force you.” Baba assured me. I nodded my head and said “We'll see.”  I'll let it slide this time.

They told me about this guy who's a Software Engineer. I nodded my head at them. They told me further details about his parents, career, physical appearance and all. Their detailed explanation seemed like they already met him or something. All this while I kept listening as if I'm interested to not hurt their feelings.

After a few minutes of hearing mumma’s non ending speech about that guy and marriage, I called it a night and went back to my room to sleep.

Baba even insisted that I see his photo but I somehow managed to come up with a better excuse.

Meeting the boy they chose, my foot. Seeing him doesn't change my opinion on not marrying him. I will make him run away. Then mumma and baba will be convinced to not find me matches anymore.

Let them be happy this time. I will make them know better than not to raise this topic again. Once let me talk to that so-called guy. I know how to turn this down after then. It will be finished once and for all.

____________________________________

Hello people!
I finally ended up uploading today i.e., Friday. But sometimes it can be Saturdays too. So the chapters will be up on either Friday or Saturday.
Don't forget to hit the li'l star if you like the chapter..
Bye-bye!! 🎀