4: Announcement From The Ministry

Renegade's POV.

We wake up early for the reaping, cold shiver dawn. When everyone can't sleep the night befor the reaping.

It's always been, who's who? Who's gonna play the game. We gather around the dinner table.

No one talks, just breathe, the awkward atmosphere is filling my lungs. No one wants to talk because we already discussed what is need to be.

The food is served, and we eat, we just eat until I can't do this anymore. Even though it's againts our dinner table rules to stand up and go to your room, without waiting to finish each other meals. I stand up.

I go to my room and cry there, it's been something I can't carry, I feel something that one of us get picked... It's just a feeling but it wouldn't leave me. It's destroying my peace.

"To stand and go to your room is against our dinner table rules" tumingin ako sa pintuan, and there's my father.

Siya naman lagi nasa tabi ko, my mother is more on focused sa mga kapatid ko, and my father is more on me. I am my father's daughter.

"I'm sorry, I just can't with the atmosphere" I said.

"But it happens every year, and this is the first time you act like this"

"I know, I am very sorry father. Hindi ko lang talaga makaya yung atmosphere, mas mabigat ngayon, since tayong lahat masyado ng marami ang pangalan sa reaping" I said and sobbing.

"That's our life, that's is always have been honey, we can't live, if we didn't sign our names on the games"

"But father, kaya natin baguhin 'to, we can, we need to!" I say in a shouting voice.

"Don't say that Renegade! Kapag may nakarinig sayo, baka akalain nila na umaayaw ka sa patakaran ng Ministry!"

"The truth is I am, this is so wrong, it's been 30 years since the revolution begin, and now we are all slaves, doing what the Ministry want" My father taps my shoulder and give I rest my head in his shoulders.

"Father this is all tiring. Nakakapagod. Ngayon! We are victims. Victims of unfair, unjustice and selfishness of the Ministry" I said.

"Go on cry, then go down there and finish your meal, before the reaping" My father said.

Umiyak lang ako nang umiyak, because I can't take this anymore, this will go on and on, every year until I die, this will go on.

My future childrens will also sign up their names for the games, and no choice to play it, or you'll be dead.

Pagkatapos kong umiyak, bumababa na ako to finish my meal, thirty minutes before the reaping.

Nakita ko sila mama and mga kapatid ko na nasa hapag-kainan pa din, dahil meron pang isa saamin na hindi pa tapos kumain.

I finish my meal, and make every bits of it count, maybe this is my final diner with my family.

There's a knock in the door, indicating we must go out now to prepare for the reaping.

We hug each other and likely sobbing, and prepare ourselves for one last time.

Lumabas kami ng pinto, and pumunta sa designated area, mag kahiwalay ang babae at lalake, which is sa left side ang lalake and sa right naman ang babae.

Mauuna lagi ang babae kapag reaping, and susundan naman 'to ng lalake.

Nag attendance kami, kasama sila mama at Blossom, sila tatay at Cole sa kabila naman.

After we do our attendance, nasa tapat na kami ng mayor's office, kung saan makikita mo ang mga gobyerno namin, ang mayor namin and ang mga governors, and plus ang lalake na naka suot ng death costume to pick the players.

"All set?" Said the mayor.

"Welcome to 28th annual grim reaper games! Where we celebrate each year the victory of Ministry againts the corrupt rebels" the mayor's reading the card.

"For this year, we celebrate our lives, and our freedom, the Ministry provides us food" but in exchange our lives. "Provide us healthcare" lie. "Provide us entertainment" and that's us.

"We celebrate, our anniversary againts rebels, who think for a second that they can out power our powerful Ministry, and for that, a new rule created" I look at everyone, they are listening.

"28 year's ago, when our Ministry won againts the rebels, Our President... President Smar, file a new rules. That because they fight the rebels and win our freedom, the exchange for this is they gonna use us for their entertainment, each year, there's a game called Grim Reaper, which every challenge, there's death coming towards a player. And each counties is responsible to provide 2 players, one male and female to fight the challenges or else expect a death. If your county has a Crackerjack, they will serve you as a mentor. And if your county doesn't have one, the Ministry will provide for you, for a game that is fair and clean" The Mayors look at us.

"And if you win this games, you'll be granted money, house, and a food for your family in your entire lifetime, plus you need to do the work of being a mentor every year. For our mentor appreciateness, if your player win, you will also be granted a cash prize, and it will serve you as your work for years" Exisiting in Atlas Hawk is a piece of shit.

"This year's game, our President decides to shake a little things up, he have announcement" Our mayor look at the big screen provided for us. "Ladies and Gentleman, our Honor, our own President, President Smar!!" I think they expected a clap, but no one clap.

"Good Morning, ladies and gentlemen, I would lovely to announce you that this year, I would like some twist" I check my wrist cause someone hold it and it's Blossom, I know she's scared. Because I am too.

I know that, everytime there's announcement like this, it could be worse or it could be in our favor. Nonetheless, we all still gonna die by their hands.

"Because 28 is my favorite number, I announce that this year grim reaper, there would be two Crackerjacks!! But it's only gonna be male and female" everyone gasp. And I am shock too.

"It could be one male from another county, and one female from another. But it could be both, so this is gonnna be exciting" everyone holds their breath like it's no tomorrow.

This announcement will change someone's live. That means, more hunger in winning, and I know the county babies are more happy than us. But it's in everyone favor. Unless you are dead.