three

Amelia - 7 years ago

Amelia never thought she'd be sitting alone, bad party music blaring in her ears at her own graduation. She had assumed that a separate party afterward for just graduates, without their families, would be fun. Well, behold.

Amelia couldn't find any of her friends. She sat at a table that had a few empty glasses strewn across it, along with a few bags others hadn't claimed. She would leave, trust her, but she couldn't drive, and Connor was her ride home—and that reminded her that she hadn't seen him for a while. She stood up, surveying the sea of dancing bodies trying to spot him, but after a while, she gave up and retreated to her seat.

Just then, Amelia felt a tap on her shoulder. It was Connor, eyebrows creased and a frown etched on his face, "I'm so sorry, Mia, how long have you been sitting here?" he questioned, pulling out a chair to sit in front of her.

Amelia glanced up at him, surprised that he had finally shown up. "Long enough," she replied with a forced smile. "Where have you been?"

Connor ran a hand through his hair, looking apologetic. "I got caught up with some of the guys. You know how it is."

The guys. Of course, he got caught up with the guys, the people he played hockey with close to every single freaking day. Amelia nodded, trying to hide her disappointment. "Yeah, I get it."

He sighed, leaning forward slightly to put his hand over hers. "Listen, Mia, I know this isn't how you imagined tonight would go..."

"It's fine, Connor," Amelia cut in, flinching from his touch while trying to deflect any feelings of hurt that bubbled up, "Can you just take me home?"

Connor's frown deepened as his hand retreated. He paused for a moment, pursing his lips as if debating something. He knew Amelia too well; he knew that it wasn't fine, and she wondered what he was about to say.

He didn't say anything. In fact, he stood up, turning his head in the other direction, and for a moment she thought he was about to leave before his eyes landed on her. Connor held out his hand once more, his expression softer this time. "May I have this dance?"

Amelia's expression hardened at his pity attempt to fix things, and she looked at Connor as if he had just offended her wildly. "It's not even a slow song, Con."

Surprisingly, his face contorted into a grin, taking a step closer. "Come on, Mia, let's just have some fun. We can make our own slow song," he said, extending his hand even further.

Amelia hesitated for a moment, but when her eyes met Connor's, the usual blue in them dark in the dim lighting, she couldn't say no. "Fine, but just this once," she replied, placing her hand in his and letting him lead her onto the makeshift dance floor.

Connor pulled Amelia closer by her waist and held her gently, as if he were scared to break something delicate. She didn't even blame him; she had always had the tendency to overreact at things like this, and he always knew to tread lightly.

Feeling the warmth of his body against hers instantly brought her a sense of comfort, his arms wrapped around her giving the illusion that they weren't at some sweaty grad party—but rather, in their own little bubble.

His breathing was shallow and uneven as his eyes darted nervously across her face. Amelia cocked her head slightly, taking in his expression and trying to figure out what he was thinking about—she usually had the ability to do this, but tonight she just couldn't seem to decipher him.

"I'm really proud of you," Connor suddenly said, his expression remaining the same while his hands tightened around her waist as if she were about to go running at any moment. Amelia chuckled awkwardly, the corners of her mouth curling up as she replied, "Well, that was random."

Fuck, why did I say that? Amelia thought. They were having this fairytale moment, and that's the best she could think of? She surveyed Connor for his reaction, but he seemed unfazed as he looked at her, like he was in a trance. He licked his lips and breathed, "I'm serious, Mia."

Amelia's breath caught in her throat at his words, her hands nervously fumbling with the hair on the nape of his neck. "I... I'm proud of you too."

Connor cracked a small smile, pulling her impossibly closer to him which sent a surge of heat through her. He craned his head down, resting on her shoulder. "You know I love you, right? I really am sorry."

Having Connor lean into her like this felt weird. They hugged all the time, but it had never been this touchy-feely, and paired with what he just said, it sent about a million thoughts racing to her head.

Love. It was a word they had thrown around before, but never in this context, not with such gravity.

"I love you too," Amelia murmured softly, and she meant it. "You'll always be my best friend," she added, the familiar scent of his woody cologne now invading her nostrils as her heart pounded in her chest.

Connor pulled back, his grip on her loosening as he smiled at her, but there was a sadness in his eyes that she couldn't help but notice. They danced for a few songs more, but eventually, the exhaustion of the day kicked in and they headed out, leaving their childhoods behind them at the school.

"I can't believe it's already over..." Amelia remarked, trailing a little behind Connor as they walked to his car.

He stood still, waiting for her to catch up before he responded, "I know, but just think, Mia—our lives have just started."