CHAPTER 9

Richard's POV

Challenge is what I take Arabel's denial as and I am not one to shy away from challenges.

I'm just trying to get an understanding of where she is coming from and what she stands to gain from all of this. Being mad is ok and expected but having to pretend is totally out of it.

I can't deny the fact that I was upset when she denied it again. It thought it was finally time for her to come clean.

I was ready to go on my knees and plead with her for forgiveness. I was ready to get yelled at, slapped in the face and hit in the chest.

She didn't do any of that. Instead, she said to my face that she wasn't Arabel but Bella.

Shooting to my feet and grabbing my phone, I move to the window searching for a name.

As soon as I see it, I dial the number and place the phone on my right ear, my left hand in my pants pocket.

He picks at the second ring. “Hi, boss.”

“Where are you?” I demand immediately just in time to see Arabel out glancing around, probably to see if her husband is still around.

“Home, boss”, Leo answers. “Do you need me?”

“No”, I mutter sharply. I thought he was within the vicinity. Arabel is about to leave and she mentioned taking the next flight to London today. “See me in my office first thing tomorrow morning.”

“Sure, boss.”

I disconnect the call, my gaze on her. Her phone is glued to her ear.

Suddenly, the guy from earlier appears from behind startling her.

She let out a laugh before hitting his chest playfully. Something stirs my heart painfully at the sight before me.

The fact that this should have been me in his shoes hurts the living hell out of me, making me regret everything all over again.

Despite the pain contrasting in my chest, I don't look away. My curiosity won't let me. He let her hit him till she gets tired, and I see her saying some things to him.

His face hardens and they speak for a while before he nods in understanding and opens the car door for her.

What are they saying? Is she talking to him about me? I remember how mad he looked when he saw me earlier too. She must have told him who I was.
But what is she telling him now?

She enters the car laughing at something he is saying before he closes the door and turns over to the other side to slouch into the driver's seat.

Just then, the door behind me opens, making me whirl around sharply to see who the intruder who doesn't have the courtesy to knock is.

My mom stares at me with tears in her eyes.

“Mom?”

“Arabel”, she points to the door. “I saw her, did you see her too?”

My heart beats hard. I didn't plan for them to meet this way. Getting my mother involved is a really bad idea at this stage.

Arabel is still denying me and I don't know what mother would do about it.

I want to resolve this myself.

“Richard, did you see her?” She questions again, nudging me immediately, expecting a reply.

With a heavy sigh, I nod. Lying to her would do no good. She will go to any length to make Arabel uncomfortable and she might end up not signing the contract. I do not want that.