CHAPTER 2 THE PLAN

As the Desiré family passes through the reception, Amaziah stops when a particularly interesting flyer catches his eye on the reception desk. Excusing himself from his mother's side, he makes a beeline for the attending receptionist to inquire about the flyer. His mother, meanwhile, continues to their bungalow with the other two.

Amaziah finds out that the flyer is advertising a singing contest with a complimentary dinner to be held that night. Interested guests are invited to sign up for the competition after purchasing tickets for the event. The contest serves as the resort's method of raising funds for the Indigenous Community Charity Foundation (ICCF), a charitable organization that provides monetary grants to assist Indigenous Peoples in Canada, the US, and the Caribbean by building schools, homes, and hospitals, and offering scholarships to universities in the US and Canada. The winner will receive an outing of their choice with the ICCF celebrity representative in attendance.

The receptionist gushes over this year's representative, a world-renowned model, actor, and humanitarian. His mixed Native American and Caucasian ancestry gives him an exotic appeal that captivates her. With tactfulness beyond his years, Amaziah obtains from the receptionist further details about the contest's sign-up procedure. He then races to the bungalow he shares with his family, an idea brewing in his teenage mind that could change their lives as they know it.

Upon entering the bungalow, Amaziah hurries to the bedroom he shares with Ashhur and hides the flyer and sign-up form in a dresser drawer. He decides to discuss the contest with his siblings later when their mother is not around. Since his father's death when he was seven, his mother has not made an effort to find love again. He notices the sadness in her eyes when she talks with her married friends and younger siblings about their families, likely realizing that she can't fully empathize with them on certain topics.

Amaziah believes that if he can convince his mom that her being in a relationship won't upset him or his siblings, she will likely take the first steps toward dating. He plans to wait until she goes on her late afternoon jog to discuss his strategy with his siblings, ensuring they are united in their support. After all, his mother's victory in the competition seems assured; she was the lead choir singer in high school and could rival Jennifer Hudson's talent. After washing his hands in the bathroom, he heads to the kitchenette to assist his family in preparing their pelau lunch.

Later that evening, Amaziah gathers his siblings in the boys' bedroom to discuss his plan to enrol their mother in the singing contest. Closing the door behind his sister, Ashhur turns to his older brother and asks, "What's de word?"

Nodding her agreement, Ariel sits down on Amaziah's bed, her gaze following her elder brother as he walks to a dresser and retrieves some papers. "Yeah, what's with the secret mission thing you got going on?" she chimes in.

Turning around, Amaziah hands over to his siblings the flyer and the sign-up form for the singing contest. He then explains his plans to sign their mother up.

"Ma never dates. She devotes all her time and energy to making sure we're more than just getting by. Ma ensures we enjoy life to the fullest so that we do not miss having a father," he pauses briefly before continuing, "But I notice how sad she looks every time one of her friends boasts about some romantic thing she did with her husband and how mad she gets when her siblings refuse to solve issues with their spouses. Guys, she misses papa more than she lets on."

He feels a sense of ease when he sees his siblings nodding in agreement and goes on to say, "I think if we get ma to go out on this outing, she will realise that we are not against her being in a relationship and it will give her the boost she needs to start dating again. So, what're your thoughts?"

"How much does a ticket cost?" Ariel asks bluntly, "You know we doh 'ave a money tree! Remember, we won this trip in a contest too."

"Yes, yes, I know. The tickets cost seventy-five dollars for each person. So no worries," Amaziah says slightly annoyed that his sister's main focus is about money.

"EC dollars or US dollars?" Ashhur questions, thinking along the same line with his sister.

"EC, Eastern Caribbean Dollars or XCD, if you want the international monetary abbreviation," Amaziah replies exasperatingly. "The money isn't the issue here! I got this. Do you agree with me that ma should go on this date or not?" His voice rising with each word, practically shouting in the end.

"Well, yeah? I don't..." begins Ariel, unsure, thinking about putting their mother in the hands of a total stranger for a day.

"But", Ashhur cuts in, "according to the flyer the contest is tonight. How are we going to get ma there or prepared for the contest? And" he further questions, taking the flyer from his sister, "isn't there a deadline for submission?"

"It's due in half an hour. Ma was taking her precious time getting out because she had to scold you on your behaviour. You forget, man," Amaziah says.

"Oh yeah!" says Ashhur, shamed face. "I forget, oui," he awkwardly chuckles.

Ariel rolls her eyes at her little brother's selective memory loss, drily commenting, "Even Dory has a better memory than you."

Chuckling at his sister's joke, Amaziah shakes his head at his younger brother who is trying to hit their sister upside her head. Then, rubbing his hands together, he gleefully says, "Since we agree, let's sign ma up, submit the form, and pay for the tickets. Oh, and the contest comes with dinner, so that is the excuse we will use when ma questions us later."

"Cool, free food," says Ashhur.

"Technically, it is not free. You pay for it when you buy the tickets," Ariel corrects.

"I wonder how come the tickets are so cheap though. Isn't the guy, the winner is going on the outing with, a celebrity or something? I expected the ticket to be much pricier and in US dollars," Ashhur says, confused.

"I agree with you there, brother. But I think this is a last-minute effort to get more persons interested. Besides, there are over one hundred guests here; they can more than make up the money. Plus, most of these guests are lower-middle-class Caribbean citizens; they are not going to pay for a pricier ticket," Amaziah concludes.

Taking a pen off his dresser, Amaziah takes the sign-up form to the desk on the other side of the room and begins filling it up. His siblings come across to look over his shoulders.

"Just put Desiré for her surname," suggests Ashhur, "instead of hyphenating like she usually does."

"Yeah, and let me sign when you're done. I do a better imitation of ma's signature than you," says Ariel.

Hushing them, Amaziah swiftly completes the form then slides it over for Ariel to sign. After which he pulls out an envelope with his remaining cash and counts out the money for the tickets. He then folds the form and places the cash in its centre, ensuring the printed side is facing inwards and the cash is not sticking out.

"Okay, I am heading to reception before ma comes back. You guys tell her that I heard about a promotion for a singing contest with dinner provided and I went to investigate it. That way, she won't be too surprised when I inform her, I signed her up. Deal?" Amaziah says to his siblings while neatly tucking the form in the pocket of his khakis.

"Deal," they both say. They follow him out of the room to the living area.

"Hurry up and come back, so you can get ready. Thisthing starts at seven. It is almost six," Ariel advises. Nodding at his sister,Amaziah opens the front door and dashes off in the direction of the receptiondesk, hoping to beat the deadline which ends at six.