343 Guilty Spark

After the long flight across the ring, Foehammer informed the group of their imminent landing in a large swamp along the ring's far side

After the long flight across the ring, Foehammer informed the group of their imminent landing in a large swamp along the ring's far side. The ring had passed into the shadow of the planet it orbited, casting night onto its surface.

"The last transmission from the captain's drops hip was from this area. That was over twelve hours ago.. and we've been unable to reestablish contact with the captain or his team. When you locate Captain Keyes, radio in and I'll come pick you up."

After dropping off the team they made their way into the swamp towards an expansive underground facility. As they approached, several Grunts and Jackles started running for their lives against an unseen attacker. The aliens raced by into the swamp, ignoring the Spartans and Elites.

"What was that? I've never seen them so scared." Luur commented.

"I do not know. Perhaps it is the humans?" Kilu suggested. They entered the facility, finding the entrance littered with Covenant bodies, blood staining the floor and walls.

"No sign of their attackers." Chief said.

"This place sends a chill down my spin." Mora commented, clutching his plasma rifle a little tighter.

"The captain is likely further in. Let's get going." James ordered. The group boarded a large elevator and descended into the facility.

As they went, they found little left of the Covenant forces that were here. Only bodies and blood. And many of them weren't in one peice.

"What could have done this, Major?" Mora asked as he peered at the mangled corpes of an Elite Ultra.

"I do not know." Kilu said quietly.

"Our people didn't do this." James said. "And I haven't seen a single spent bullet casing or speck of human blood anywhere."

"Yes.." Kilu averted his eyes to the walls. "We may not be alone down here." A sudden and low rumble came from the walls, a skittering of a great many things just behind the panels. Orn took a step closer to James, placing her hands on his back as her eyes darted to the walls in fear. The Hunters growled and instinctively raised their fuel rod cannons. "We must keep moving."

Pressing forward, the group eventually came to a lone marine, which started shooting at them with a magnum.

"Stay back! Stay back! You're not gonna turn me into one of those things! I'll blow your brains out! Get away from me!" The marine was panicking and firing wildly, even at Chief and James.

"Marine! Hold your fire!" James ordered, but the scared man didn't listen. James rushed forward in an attempt to take the weapon from the man, but before he could reach him, the marine pressed the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. Coating the wall behind him in blood and brain matter.