Chapter 28: The Distance

Start from the beginning

He chuffed in his throat and used her hand to pull the stubborn weed out.

"Stupid little witch." It no longer sounded like an insult. It was fond. His wing brushed up her back and across her shoulder as he moved to the next weed. Her skin tingled where they touched.

She fell further for him while amongst the dirt and weeds.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------

There was a small silver box in her coffee cup. It was the day after the market. She has found all sorts of things in her cup. Quartz, stones, flowers, and candies, but this felt different. This felt like a moment. Like whatever was in that box would help finally close the distance between them.

They had been getting closer and closer. His words no longer cut. He would brush by her the way he would the boys, His hand or wing would linger. And now there's a box.

The box was light. She took the top off carefully. Inside was a small silver bracelet. Reverently she took it out of the box and noticed the green stones. A smile overtook her face. It was lovely.

When he came down for breakfast, his eyes immediately found the bracelet on her wrist. He made a pleased rumble in his chest.

She made a point to either wear the bracelet or the quartz necklace at all times, just to remind him that she accepts the gifts, and accepts him.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------

The market was winding down. There was only this weekend and the next one left. The boys seemed sad about the ending.

They enjoyed the hustle and bustle of people and they enjoyed the attention they got.

Jace was still pouting about the inventible end as they set things out on the tables.

"There's a weekend market next month for Mother's Day and they run a market twice a week all summer."

His little bottom lip was still pushed out.

Wren ran his fingers through Jace's sun-streaked hair.

"We can come into town even when there's not a market."

Jace's pout quickly disappeared. "We can?"

Wren nodded. "As long as you keep up on your chores and school work."

She hid her smile behind her hand. He was practicing his fatherly skills. It made her all soft inside when he made an effort to be their parent. He mentioned doing research on how human-like families should run.

The boys humored him when he told them to eat their vegetables and drink water. She knew that it meant a lot to them that someone would choose to act like a father towards them.

Their flesh and blood father shattered their childhood and Wren was carefully gathering the pieces and putting them back together.

She watched him give each boy a small amount of money to spend. "Don't spend it all on sweets. You'll rot your teeth."

They were spoiled. Full of wildness and love, needing for nothing, it was a wondrous thing.

Jace barreled into Wren and hugged him. Wren took it with grace.

"Thanks, Dad!" Jace shouted before shooting off into the crowd.

Wren stood there, shocked and dumb. His arms were still out from the hug.

Gael swaggered up to Wren with a Cheshire grin.

"Yeah, thanks, Dad." He said pointedly before giving him a condescending pat pat on his shoulder. He quickly took off after his brother.