03. this world set in freeze

• √ •

There was a certain time when five years old Choi Beomgyu would have a craving for singing. 

When the afternoon outside his bedroom window would glow pale yellow and scatter golden dust on the tiny pots of various plants Sol had arranged on the side table, little Beomgyu would grin happily at the peaceful nature and run all the way to his mother.

"Mamma!" he would jump up and down on his feet, his eyes collecting every invisible stars from the galaxy like pokemon balls. "I wanna sing!"

Sol, stopping herself from doing whatever task she was immersed into, such as spraying insecticides on the hanging air plants and ferns or checking a new recipe book to cook for Beomgyu, and would look down at her son, grinning.

"What do you wanna sing, Beomgyu- yah?"

"Ah, ah..." Beomgyu tapped his chin, thinking deeply. His doe eyes moved around, in case they got a glimpse of an idea lurking at the corners. "Uhm- ah-"

He had no idea of what was the source of his craving, but Beomgyu knew he had to let the tunes inside his head revert into sounds and majestic hums, and to do that, he needed that! That thing people have on their lap while singing, it was called-

"A guitar!" Beomgyu happily exclaimed. "Mamma, I need a guitar!"

"A guiter!" Sol was stunned to hear what her little son was saying. "My Beomie wants a guiter? Oh, you little cutie, do you even know how to play one?"

"Beomgyu can learn anything!"

Which was indeed, the truth. Since childhood, Beomgyu was fast at picking things from here and there, his mental growth was also speedier than other children of his age. Sol was sure he could also learn to play guiter, such a heavy instrument, if she instructed him frequently and pushed him to chase the tunes.

So the day came; to buy Beomgyu a guiter for his upcoming birthday in March. It was still far away, but Sol convinced her husband that she would keep it well hidden. In result, the news was kept as a surprise from Beomgyu.