49 | Jisoo

I drop my head to Taehyung's shoulder and snuggle closer on the sofa

I drop my head to Taehyung's shoulder and snuggle closer on the sofa. I'm drawing on my tablet as he reviews documents on his laptop, yet I'm filled with such happiness tonight. It's the simple things I love most with him.

"Mr. and Mrs. Kim?"

We both sit up in surprise when one of our bodyguards walks in. Our staff is usually so invisible that it's easy to forget they're there at all. They never enter the house when we're at home.

"What is it, Ben?" Taehyung asks.

Ben hesitates for a moment. "Kwon Irene is at the gate. We've denied her entry, but she doesn't seem to be in a good state of mind. I would recommend that we let her in before she causes a scene and attracts the media."

Taehyung looks at me, and I nod. If what he's saying is true, something is really wrong. Irene would never risk causing a scene otherwise. She cares more about her reputation than she's ever cared about either of us.

"Let her in," I say.

I grab my phone and pull up the cameras. The gates at the front of the mansion swing open, and she drives through. It'll only take her a few
minutes to get to our house, and the closer she gets, the more apprehension fills me. I have a bad feeling about this.

I haven't spoken a word to her since I asked her if she wanted me in her life, and I didn't think I ever would again. Not truly. I anticipated seeing her at social events, but this? I didn't expect her to show up at our house ever again.

Irene looks distraught as she walks in, Ben by her side. She pauses and looks around, her face betraying her shock.

"I see you renovated the place," she says, her tone soft and matter-of-fact. The venom I expected isn't there, and it makes me feel uneasy. Considering the way we fell out, there's no way she could be standing in front of me now without an ulterior motive.

She walks up to us and sits down on the sofa next to the one we're on, her gaze moving between Taehyung and me. Trepidation runs down my spine when she clasps her hands nervously.

Normally, she can't take her eyes off Taehyung. This time, she's looking at me, with something that looks a whole lot like remorse in her gaze.

"I'm sorry to drop by unannounced," she says, her head bowed. Her eyes fill with tears, and she inhales shakily. The way she wraps her arms around herself makes her look so vulnerable, but
I'm convinced it's all an act.

I should've known she wouldn't let me walk away so easily - not with both Taehyung and our parents' company.

"I... there's no easy way to say this." She raises her head and looks into my eyes. "I'm pregnant."

She's... what? My heart drops, and nausea hits me hard, her words replaying through my mind. Fear unlike anything I've ever known holds me captive as I stare at my sister.