𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟐: 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐞 𝐒𝐢𝐳𝐞

"WOOOOOHHH." Screamed Chuck but he suddenly stopped. "Wait that means I won't see you everyday?"

"It won't really change from right now, I'm always in the slammer."

I wondered, was being called a Runner all I needed to be one automatically?

"Hey, Evelyn!" I turned my head towards the sound of the familiar voice. It was Hawk, his tousled brown hair catching the light as he spoke.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I heard you became a Runner! I won't congratulate you though, I wouldn't be happy if I were you."

"Kinda why you're not me."

He let out a small laugh in the midst of feeling both irritated and entertained. "Typically, it's the keepers who give the training and show the assignment, but as you can tell... MINHO REFUSES TO DO HIS JOB!"

He yelled his last words as the Asian passed by and gave him a sharp peek before yelling back. "It's not of your Shucking business!" And left to the campfire where people started eating.

"Come on," Hawk said, gesturing for me to follow as he walked towards the area. "We'll grab something to eat and then head over to the map room."

I took the weird-looking groats that Frypan was serving, along with a large glass of water that I refilled and drank several times. It was unusual to see all the Runners gathered together outside of the maze for once. Ben was seated with Hawk and another boy, while Minho sat with Newt and other keepers. The only exception was Gally, who established with the Builders.

I was with Simon, Chuck and Fry, but my stay with them wasn't long since as soon as I ended my meal Hawk left with me.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

"To the map room, it's where we go after our run."

We made our way to the woods, the very same location where I had previously seen him and Ben emerge after discussing about me. Quite sneaky, isn't it?

The place was a huge wooden structure that looked a lot like the Med-Hut. In the interior, there was a huge table covered with a sheet.

"What's under this?" I pointed towards the middle.

"That, Evelyn, he took the sheet with his hands and threw it away in one second, is the maze."

Underneath the covering, there lies a small maze constructed from sticks.

"Wait, I thought you still hadn't finished exploring everything in here and why is there no exit of this maze?"

Hawk lifted his eyes from the table to look at me, but at the last moment, his gaze shifted to something behind me.

"He didn't, I did."

I turned around already annoyed by the look of Minho. Minho, Minho, it's always about him and always will be.

"Oh, now you want to see me?" I said raising an eyebrow and crossing my arm.

"Got to make sure your leg's fine."

"Oh, I'm fine. Are you?" I didn't phrase it as a question, but I noticed his face tense up in response.

"Guys, can you just stop for a moment?"

Hawk says raising his hand, sharing a glance between me and him. "Like I was saying this is a reproduction of the Maze. Yes, there's no exit and yes Minho explored every corner."

"If there's no exit, why are you still looking and why do everyone think there's is!"

"Alby's order," Minho said leaning forward on the table. "But we still run because the maze changes every night and we need to explore all the sections every day." He continued.