008 ... it's dangerous to go alone !

CHAPTER 8

CHAPTER 8 ...part 2

(Fictional  Khloe Rose)

   BY the time September ended and October began, Alma finally could bend her leg at a 20-degree angle and could finally walk around without those pesky crutches. Her recovery process was looking more like a year than a few months (that was including Alma's physiotherapy), but Alma's stay in La Push was proving to be more pleasant than anticipated.

   Oddly enough, Sam's kids seemed to enjoy spending time with 'Auntie Alma', even if that time was usually spent with Alma watching Lacrosse teams while Peter and Ruth coloured or did 'whatever kids do' as Alma so eloquently puts it.

   Thank God that Alma never really ran into Sam, he always seemed to be away on 'business' or whatever the fuck that meant. Emily always flicked her hand like that was just 'regular old Sam', but Alma couldn't help but find it odd.

   I mean, it wasn't like Sam and the jorty boys were business moguls, like Patrick Bateman and the other eggshell white jerk-off's. Hell, if you asked anyone on the rez, no one knew what Sam even did for work, the council always said he and the boys 'worked for the rez', or whatever the hell that meant.

   But Alma couldn't find it in herself to care, it wasn't exactly affecting her so why should Alma ask questions. Another oddity amidst the no shoes, no shirt, that's the service crew, was their appetite. Sure, Alma was known to push back a couple burgers in one sitting, but that was because of how many calories she needed to consume for lacrosse, and last Alma checked – Paul was the only one who even played recreationally.

   Alma had much more to care about, like what the hell she was gonna wear for Halloween. Sure, she could have refused Ruth and Parker's begs for her to go trick-or-treating with them, but how could she say no? Alma Uley was no monster.

   Parker decided to go as Alma, complete with a copy of her brace in cardboard and duct-tape ('are you sure you're okay with this Alma? I mean is it to soon?' 'Shut the fuck up Em, he looks adorable') and little Ruthie decided to go as 'the pretty lady from Auntie Alma's game' (this was of course in reference to Legends of Zelda when Ruth was being watched by Alma) and insisted that Alma match her because 'the princesses is the best and Auntie Alma is the best' – sound logic if you ask her.

   Then came the brilliant idea from Emily that Embry dress up as Link, because 'every princess needs her knight in shining armour' and 'there's safety in numbers' – whatever that meant.

   Ruth giggled at that, Alma did not. Even if Emily meant it for Ruth, Alma knew better. Because the moment they stepped out those doors to take the three and five year old's to trick-or-treat, Alma knew the rumour mill would begin turning.