001... how to lose her trust !

CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1 ... part 1

(Mess it up — Gracie Abbrams)

    THROUGHOUT Alma Uley's life, she had only truly trusted 4 people.

1. DAD

Every girl looks up to her father, rose coloured glasses perceiving him as how a man should behave, how they should treat women.

Joshua Uley should never have been an example.

Alma should have realized far sooner that Joshua Uley was never meant to be a father, let alone a husband. He was quick to enrage and even quicker to gaslight his family, always blaming his problems on something or someone else.

To be fair to Alma, Joshua Uley wasn't exactly present in her life, always hightailing it as soon as he returned. So of course, she saw him some omnipotent being. Allison Uley didn't have the heart to tell her that 'dearest daddy' was just a deadbeat.

Alma was exposed to the truth when Joshua left her at a gas station near La Push's boarder after promising to pick her up.

2. MAMA

Allison Uley always made sure to be present in her children's lives despite how busy her schedule kept her. Alma loved her mother, truly, but Allison seemed hellbent on having her make amends with her brother, Sam.

She couldn't fault Allison for this, Sam was a Momma's boy through and through. Alma could, however, blame her for trying to force forgiveness.

3.  SAMMY

Alma was exactly 4 years younger than Sam, born during the midst of a snowstorm in November. It was odd — Sam, whom made his disdain of a new sibling known, took one look at the small bundle in his mother's arms and instantaneously fell in love.

Allison Uley smiled at the sight. Her son holding his sister with such a gentleness, the kind that Joshua Uley should have shown (if the bastard had even bothered to show up).

With Sam's guiding hand, Alma flourished; captain for Forks Lacrosse team (of which she plays midfield), a 4.0 GPA and on track to graduate Valedictorian. Everything was perfect, until it wasn't.

Sam was a difficult subject for Alma, especially considering how close they used to be. Wherever Sam went Alma was sure to follow. He took the father role upon himself for her.

He'd talk her down from panic attacks, helped her practice lacrosse, took her to get ice-cream when she was down. He held her during her first heartbreak, picked her up when Joshua failed to.

All in all, Sam was Alma's hero.

Alma remembered the day he abandoned her like it was yesterday. It began during the fall season, Sam had been...off. He had become quick to set off, enraged by the slightest of convenances. He'd had garnered a nasty temper, one that was chalked down to pre-wedding nerves.