006... hello clarice !

CHAPTER 6

CHAPTER 6 ... part two

(Compass — The Neighbourhood)

    ..."I WISH it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."...

    Lord of the Rings had always been one of Alma's favorite books, one that she'd force her mother and Sam to read to Alma until she could read it on her own. She remembered dragging her brother and Embry to every showing at their local theatre and dressing up as Arwen every year for Halloween (a trend that ended after her freshman year).

    Even now, with the tattered leather and worn-down pages, Alma sat reading Lord of the Rings, soaking up every word that splattered the manila paper in dark ink. It was the book that got her through her last years at La Push's school, the story that pulled her out of the bathroom stall she ate her lunch in. Hell, it was the book that kept Alma from crying over Embry Call whenever she didn't have Lacrosse practice.

    The words let her mind wander from the pain that flared in her knee as she waited for her doctor to check her knee's progress and (hopefully) move the dial on her brace for more leg room (pun intended).

    "Alma? Doctor Cullen will see you now." She got up, walking towards the brunette nurse who began to lead Alma to her new doctor.

    Coach Williams was insistent that Alma get treated by 'the best of the best' (his words not hers) – Doctor Cullen was the best Forks had to offer. Apparently, he was a bigshot all the way from Alaska, his wife and his adopted children were all stand up citizens, But Alma couldn't help but deter from that idea when she first saw the acclaimed Doctor.

    He was pale, sickly so, skin that should look soft and plush look more like a porcelain doll than anything. His eyes glowed an odd golden colour, far to perfect to be real.

    "Hello," He smiled out, another feature that, while perfect, was eerie in Alma's eyes, "you must be Alma, I'm Carlisle Cullen."

    He shook her hand, a shivering chill running up her spine. His body temperature was basically at subzero, freezing the veins under her skin with just a touch. Alma retracted her hand almost instantly, the feeling of his cold hands never leaving her even after they'd separated.

    He kept a smile on his face, though this time a bit forced.

    "Let's have a look at that knee."

    After what felt like hours, Doctor Cullen had moved the dial before leading Alma back to the waiting room. As she began to make her co-payment, a voice behind her called her name. And she knew, God she knew exactly who it was.