History Before the Dance of the Dragons

A written account of Grand Maester Munkun

In the annals of Targaryen lore, Aemon the Great looms large, casting a formidable and enigmatic shadow. Unlike his forebears, who carved their legacies with strokes of conquest, cruelty, conciliation, or youthful folly, one achievement that highlighted them and made them stand out, Aemon's reputation remains as varied as the countless titles bestowed upon him throughout his storied life—titles he oft detested, save for two. He was never known for one act but a change, a multitude of acts that shaped not just Westeros but the world of man. No matter if one liked or disliked Aemon the Great, all could agree that there was a world before his birth and a far different one after his death.

While many would debate whether Aemon was more the Night King of terror and nightmares or the White Wolf of honor and justice, all his titles were composed in the title the Great, for he was capable of either great good or great evil, but none the less, he was great.

Across the Seven Kingdoms and Essos, opinions of Aemon the Great diverge as widely as the landscapes they inhabit. Like a tapestry woven from threads of admiration, fear, reverence, and disdain. In the North, it was believed no greater dragonlord was ever born. In the Riverlands, no greater a tyrant. Opinions in Dorne, Westerlands, Reach, and Vale varied depending on the House. The smallfolk, the faith, would have favorable opinions despite what some histories would say. The Citadels would argue over his position as a man.

If speaking that a good man only does what is needed for their House and family, he was great.

If speaking of power, he was the greatest.

If speaking of honor, it was debated if he had any.

If speaking a warrior and dragonlord, there was no better.

If speaking of being just, one would wonder if he was too harsh, yet his harsh ways kept the realm in peace, if at least in fear of the reputation that would threaten his peace.

To some, Aemon was a paragon of Targaryen's prowess and sagacity, his name whispered in reverence alongside the illustrious Aegon the Conqueror. Tales of his victories in battle, his cunning diplomacy, and his unmatched mastery of dragon and sword have become the stuff of legend, immortalized in songs sung from the dunes in Dorne to the Wall of the North.

Yet, for others, the name Aemon invokes a darker hue, stained by shadows of mistrust and whispers of tyranny. They recount tales of his ruthlessness in quelling dissent, his unyielding pursuit of power, and the blood that stained his hands in pursuing his ambitions.

It was noted that in the few times, his sons were able to get the man in his cups, in celebration of his daughter's name day, the man once compared himself to the man of the name Tywin Lannister rather than Jon Arryn. However, no reference to such a man in Lannister or Arryn histories was similar to Aemon in practices and actions.

Each kingdom harbors its perception of Aemon the Great throughout the realm, shaped by the intricate interplay of rumor, gossip, and firsthand experience. In the North, where winters are long and memories linger, songs are sung by a noble dragon rider who braved the frozen wastes to defend the realm against the encroaching darkness and hordes.

In the Reach, where chivalry and honor hold sway, tales are told of a wise and just ruler who dispensed justice with an even hand, earning the loyalty of vassals and subjects alike, even if House Hightower and House Redwyne disagreed adamantly.

Yet in the storm-lashed shores of the Iron Islands, whispers carry tales of a fearsome tyrant who crushed all who dared defy his will, his dragons casting a shadow of terror across the seas. But surprising enough, the Greyjoys were the only House to disagree with such a notion.