briar's dorm

Vivienne Leclair
The late October air seeps into my lungs as I sit by the Black Lake with Briar.

Autumn has made the trees turn different colors, bringing with it a sense of peace and calmness.

My brain, however, has been scattered all over the place the last couple weeks. But I managed to pull through and finish the story for Professor Vector.

I haven't turned it in yet, but I know she'll love it. Muggle fashion is now a new hobby of mine, and I really gave my full effort to the article.

None of it wouldn't have been possible with Mattheo bringing me to London. I wish I could thank him, but I'm not going to contact him anymore.

I have to move on. As attracted as I am to him, my mother is right. I can't live my life without her support, and she did threaten to cut me off if I changed anything about myself.

That includes relationships.

So, I've rekindled my relationship with Briar. He's better now, he makes time for me, and he's more open to communicating with to me.

"Tell me more about the article." He says, biting into a strawberry from our picnic basket.

I smile at his interest in my work.

"Well, it's about a Muggle model and her influence on Muggle culture. I thought it was an interesting topic, considering how foreign it is to us Wizards."

He nods his head and listens attentively. "Hm. Muggles."

I roll my eyes playfully. "Believe it or not, there are Wizards that have a very fond interest in Muggles."

He leans back on the picnic blanket. "I bet the article is great. I'll make sure to read it." He says, brushing my hair out of my face.

"Thank you." I smile and look down at my watch, noticing the time. "I actually need to go turn it in now, but I'll see you later?" I ask.

"Yeah." He moves his hand away from my face. "We're all hanging out in my dorm tonight, can you come?"

I think for a minute. "I don't have any homework tonight... I'll be there." I smile.

"Good." He smiles back.

-

I walk into Professor Vectors classroom with my article in hand.

"I finished it." I say, placing the papers down in front of her. She puts on her reading glasses and squints at the article.

"Hm." She says, closely inspecting the papers.

Silence ensues for a few minutes and I play with my fingers out of nervousness.

She speaks up again. "What made you want to do the story on fashion?"

I quickly look up, making eye contact with her. "I found a book in the library and I got inspired."

She holds the papers up to the light.

Okay... that's weird.

She clears her throat and sets the papers down.

"I like it. I'll publish it in the paper." She smiles. "And I will say, Vivienne, that I believe you have enough of a repertoire to apply for the internship. With the work I've seen you do, I know you have a great chance at getting it."

"Thank you." I respond. "I'll apply as soon as possible."

Even thought I don't particularly like Journalism, an internship is a great thing to have on my resume for future endeavors.