Chapter 40

24th December 1997
───── 𓆚 ─────

The halls are lined with tinsel and Christmas decorations. It's my favourite time of the year yet I have no one to spend it with. Usually, I would spend Christmas with Hermione, but it just doesn't feel right this year. So I guess I'll spend this year in my dorm.

Maybe I should go get Mattheo something, but even if I did what would I get him? Why does being in a relationship have to be so hard, why can't it just be no requirements, not that I would know what they are if there were any?

Without any other choice, I decide to go see Pansy. I walk into the Slytherin common room immediately making my way to her dorm when Lorenzo stops me. "She's not here," he says, as if he's reading my mind. "Where is she?" "Her family forces her to go home for Christmas every year".

Well, that's bloody brilliant.

"Oh, thanks" I turn to walk out the door but he stops me. "What do you need? Maybe I can help you" he smiles and for some reason I trust him. "I was hoping to get Mattheo a present for Christmas, but I barely know anything about him and only have a small allowance from my Grandparents."

"Alright, let's go." He holds out his hand I raise my brow. "Should I ask where we're going?" "Muggle London, now let's go," he says with a small chuckle. I grab his arm and immediately I feel my stomach turn as we apparate.

When I finally feel the familiar comfort of the ground I turn to him. "One day one of you will have to tell me how you do that." "A trade secret I'm afraid" he laughs and I can't hold back the smile that escapes me.

He walks me to a few shops until we reach a clothing store. "Hoodies are your best option," Lorenzo says, pointing to a back section. Knowing Mattheo he probably wants something black or dark. Nothing immediately catches my attention until I get to the back of the racks.

I pull out a black hoodie with a small snake embroidered on the chest and immediately know that it's the one. I take it to the counter and pay for it before we walk out. "You could also try a candle but I don't think he would want much else" "He doesn't like presents does he?"

Lorenzo shakes his head and my heart begins to ache for Mattheo. Presents were one of my favourite things about Christmas growing up, and although the presents were good it wasn't because of them. It was because for an hour me, Mom and Dad would sit around the tree, all wearing Christmas pyjamas and would spend time together.

I open my bag revealing I only have $20 in Muggle money left. "Maybe just a chocolate frog?" I ask with a sigh, feeling defeated that I couldn't get him more. It's not like he would care, I'm sure he isn't expecting anything at all. But that only breaks my heart more.

Lorenzo grabs my hand and we quickly Apparate to Diagon Alley and the uneasy feeling in my stomach returns. "I have to run and get something really quickly, meet me back here," Lorenzo says before running off into the crowds of people.

Diagon Alley is the busiest two times a year, once just before the start of the first semester and then again at Christmas. And of course, I happened to put this off until the day before.

I walk into the sweets shop and get the chocolate frog before walking back to the meeting spot and Lorenzo is nowhere to be found. 'It's fine' I tell myself 'I'm sure he will be back soon'.