Chapter 15

Queen Bethany had reorganised one of her labs so I could run my practice. It had everything from a workbench to scales to weigh my patients, even a small sitting area for my clients as well as a desk with stationary for me to write reports. Mortar and pestles, ingredients, and medical supplies were all tucked away in the small (compared to the pantry in Queen Bethany's private lab) pantry off to the side. Everything I could possibly need to tend to my patients.

I spent the next couple of hours with clients who lived in the city. They brought their small pets in for general checkups; only one of them needed me to make an ointment.

Normally, I would find these days boring; I longed for the days of mystery, where I had to read through my countless books to find the cause of their ailments. The satisfaction of discovery and doing a job well done were the days I looked forward to the most.

But today, I was quite content to pet the cats and dogs that came through my office, and give them the all clear to their owners. I had a lot on my mind and even more on my plate; having an easy day at the office was exactly what I needed to wind down. . .

Raiden woke up from his nap on the cushion I had nabbed for him, eyes instantly training onto the small dog on my examination table. He was the last of my clients, thankfully, but the hunger in the dragonling's green eyes were evident. Mister Brown didn't miss it either.

Gasping, he scooped his dog up and held him protectively. "I-I understand you have new responsibilities, Lyla, but is it safe having him around?" He slid an accusatory glare in Raiden's direction as if he had already chased his little dog around the lab and eaten him.

I winced, because the answer was probably "no." Not until he learned the difference between food and not food, anyway.

"Um. Maybe it's for the best if you don't come in for a checkup in the next few months--until I've trained him, of course."

He pinned Raiden with a sharp glance as he caught him stalking towards us with predator-like stealth while we spoke. He froze, looking away from his prey in a lame attempt to throw us off his scent. It didn't quite work.

"Perhaps I should find another animal healer. You have a lot on your hands, Lyla."

"No, no. It's fine, Mister Brown. I just need a couple of months, then Rufus will be safe."

The look of doubt felt like a sucker punch. "Of course. Goodbye, Lyla." He marched out the door and all over my aspirations.

Groaning, I collapsed in my chair and dumped my head in my hands. "Great. Just great."

He hadn't been the first hesitant client. They all had smiles on their faces until they spotted Raiden. Thankfully, he had been fast asleep at the time, so they had taken my assurances to heart. But clearly they were all empty promises when he was awake.

"What am I supposed to do?" I was afraid to leave him alone, of him disappearing or of the damage he'd do, but wherever I took him, chaos reigned.

Raiden hopped into my lap and wiggled his snout through my hands then bumped my nose with his. My hands dropped to his sides and held him more securely in my lap. He chirped merrily, having no idea that his zealous energy had most likely cost me a client, and brushed his snout along my cheek.

"Thanks, buddy." I stroked his scales; the rigid texture against my soft skin was beginning to warm up on me. It was soothing. "Don't listen to Mister Brown. I can train you. You're going to be an amazing dragon when you grow up. You will be adored by everyone. It's just. . . right now. . ." My sigh was ragged as I fought off the tears of frustration. "They don't understand you. They're used to being around tamed, fully-grown dragons. I bet Daemon was as wily as you are when he was young. Now look at him. He and Quinn are out there keeping the kingdom safe. They're doing so many incredible things. . . He's truly the bravest, most honourable man I have ever met." He just also had a bad habit of forgetting about consequences.