CHAPTER 21

THE BALL

THE BALL

[commenting and voting is considered writer's motivation and is greatly appreciated!]

THE ANNUAL YULE BALL WAS AN ANTICIPATED EVENT FOR ALL THE SEVENTH YEARS. Besides graduation, the ball was exclusively for the seventh-years, making it impossible for any year level below them to enter. Usually a spare fifth or sixth year would be lucky enough to join the ball, and that was due to an invite from their seventh-year friend. After all, that was how Fred Weasley and George Weasley scored an invite.

George and Fred Weasley stood outside the Ravenclaw common room, waiting for Catherine to grant them access into the room. Yet, after waiting for fifteen minutes, the two began to attempt to solve the riddle presented by the old eagle knocker.

"I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have no body, but I come alive with wind. What am I?"

"A ghost!" Fred yelled at the knocker, eyeing the lock of the door. Yet, it remained locked.

"Bloody hell," George groaned, rubbing his forehead, "They told us 6:30, it's 6:45. Honestly how long does it take to get ready for a ball!"

Fred banged his fist against the door, "Stupid eagle knocker and his stupid riddles." He turned to George, "That eagle knock can put that beak of his up his arse-"

"Don't expect pitiful behavior will grant you access into the common room."

George's eyebrows flew up, his mouth cracking into an impressed smile, "Had no idea that knocker could speak outside of riddle, must be for extremely annoying cases, brother."

Fred scoffed at the eagle knocker, "unbelievable..." he gritted beneath his teeth.

"Come on now, Freddie. Don't wrinkle up your suit," George adjusted his bow tie, "Mum didn't buy us these for you to go and ruin it."

Fred walked over to his brother, patting down his black suit and cape, "Alright, brother. If these girls don't come out in five minutes, I say we enter the ball without them," he held a teasing a grin.

"Oh shut it, you know if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't even be in this ball." George snickered.

The door creaked open.

The twins turn to face the open door, seeing Lily's head pop out, "Hello, boys! I see you couldn't find your way into the common room." Her was twisted into braids that turned to curls at the bottom. Freddie and George had always heard Lily called those braids Princess Braids. Each braid was adorned with gold jewelry. She looked enchanting.