CHAPTER 1

A STRANGER'S LIGHT

A STRANGER'S LIGHT

THE TRAIN COMPARTMENT WENT DARK. The sudden halt of movement caused Catherine to jolt out of the velvet seat compartment. Catherine let out of a pained groan as she realized the book she held in her hand must have fallen somewhere in the compartment.

"Catherine! Are you okay?" Catherine felt a pair of warm hands assist her back into her seat.

Finally adjusting her eyes to the sudden darkness, the outline of her best friend was shown from the light of the window. "Lily, I'm fine, have I've gone mad? The train stopped."

"You're not the only one," she said, still holding a grip to Catherine's fingers. "Catherine," she squeezed her hand, "you've gone cold." She worried, squeezing them once more.

"Lily, we've been over this, I'm naturally cold." She witted with her friend. Catherine saw the shadow of her friend's thick coiled hair shake.

"You're freezing," she worried. Catherine touched her pale skin, feeling a sudden coldness. She looked at her best friend and grabbed her hands. Expecting to feel a familiar warmth, but her hands felt like ice.

"You are too." The girls looked down, breathing heavily. The warm temperature of the train dropped to coldness that could enervate anyone in the Hogwarts Express.

The compartment shook once more, the girls held tightly to their seats. With the movement of the train came the rapid condensation of the window, Catherine's eyes followed the movement of ice going down the window.

A feeling of dread and depression crept upon Catherine. She questioned whether Lily felt the sudden strip from her soul.

From the corner of her eye, Catherine swore she saw the movement of a shadow walk past their compartment. "Lily," she whispered, "I feel like we aren't alone."

"What do you mean?" Lily question lowly, looking out the compartment door window.

Catherine quickly assessed the situation presented in front of her: sudden halt, temperature decrease, depression, shadow. From her own studies, Catherine saw it as clear as how the textbook has described it.

"It's a dementor!" She warned, holding tightly to her friend's hand. "We must speak quietly. It can sense us."

Lily scoffed at Catherine's words, "How do you know all this?"

"It was apart of our curriculum last year." Catherine answer, watching the compartment closely.

"You act as if we had a competent professor last year."