Receding Tide (Part 2)

THROUGH KATE'S EYE

I tune in back to the conversation to hear Marcy finishing up how they met. You see, if she let me say it, we would be down by now.

MARCY

Then we started dating.

I did make a few deals with him,

but they are not why we are together.

Lou has his arm around Marcy. It's clear from his face that his love for her is real. Marcy smiles, but I can see she is uncomfortable.

LOU

Happy and still going strong.

I see him reach for something in his inner jacket pocket. I can't see what it is, and I don't care.

ADAM

You don't own her soul?

LOU

No, but I do have some stuff.

Heart, kidney, lungs.

Lou reaches for the opposite inner jacket pocket and proceeds to the stupidest, most offish things. He pulls out a sock monkey doll that looks like Marcy.

This isn't a toy or creepy fetish doll, though it's creepy. No, this is what I learned I'd called a Conduit. This is the embodiment of Marcy. Attached to it are three enamel pins. One of her LUNGS, then LIVER, then HEART. Each is pinned to the appointed spots on the body.

MARCY

Don't show people that.

Lou blushes as he talks. He finds this all cute and is happy to discuss anything involving Marcy. Oblivious to how she feels.

LOU

Three months in, she came to me needing

something important. It was for the most

heartwarming reason, which is ironic

because that's what it cost.

Lou is so into his story that he sees nothing wrong with his actions. Marcy remains calm, but I can see the cracks forming on the edge of her mind.

MARCY

Don't talk about it.

LOU

Her dad was in this big accident,