New Affair (Part 9)

Sunlight beams down on the siblings as they step into an alley hidden between two mall sections. The nearest street or parking lot is far from view, and there is no camera in sight. It's a sizeable blemish in the mall's security. Don takes a mental note of the location as it is the perfect place not to be seen – not that he would do anything illegal.

   The downsides are the two filled dumpsters and the group of men and women surrounding them. Each person tries their best to look threatening, some going as far as cracking their knuckles and spitting in front of them. Each has a matching kangaroo patch sewn onto one article of clothing.

ALY

This can't be real.

   A man walks forward. His hair is slicked back, but his beard is unkempt. He is muscular, athletic and much taller than Aly, overshadowing Don. When you look at this man, you can't help but think leather jackets and cheap cologne were made for him. The way everyone turns to him when he speaks makes it clear he is the leader.

LEADER

You two have grabbed our attention. I have a few questions for you.

ALY

Oh god, this is real. You guys 

look like the teens from Grease if they 

joined the scouts. I mean the patches are 

overkill if you ask me.

DON 

Kinda cliché, don't ya think? 

I mean the whole alley shtick.

   Don examines his surroundings.

LEADER

Was that supposed to sting, Detective?

      Don and Aly's eyes jolt to look at him. 

LEADER

That's right. I know who you two are.