New Affair (Part 11)

Don places his phone on the circle charger embedded in the wood. They have reached the end of their investigation. Each sibling sits behind their respective desks, back in their formal wear. Sitting in front of them is Mrs. Olive.

Don's desk is clear with one stack of papers, all his pens organized, picture frame recently polished, and desked wiped. Attempting to seem as disciplined and methodical, Aly has set up stacks of papers and files on her desk. Most of the papers are blank and hold no real value, but Mrs. Olive doesn't need to know this.

On the verge of tears, Mrs. Olive clutches her purse, bracing herself for some horror they are unaware of.

MRS OLIVE

Hurry up, tell me. I can take it. 

What is it? He's cheating on me, 

isn't he? Is she younger, older? God, 

I'd rather it be younger – if I find out he 

is cheating on me with some retirement 

home harlot, I will lose it. 

I'm ready. Just hit me with it.

The siblings look at each other, tempted to let her talk and hear what other theories run rampant in her head. Aly nods as they both acknowledge they should end her self-inflicting suffering.

ALY

We can see that you're in pain.

 It must have been difficult waiting for us. 

So, we won't take up more of your time 

and rip the band-aid off right now. 

Don, tell her what we found.

Don's neck almost snaps when he turns to Aly. Unbeknownst to Mrs. Olive, Don and Aly played Rock, Paper, Scissors to see who would have to do the uncomfortable job of breaking the news to her. Don won best, two out of three. Aly was supposed to take the lead this time. The look Don shoots Aly screams murder. His sister leans back in her chair and gestures for him to hurry.

Don sucks it up and speaks.

DON

Mrs. Olive, I need to ask you a few things. 

You hired us because you believe your husband, 

Ben Olive, lied and cheated on you.

He lifts a paper and starts reading it.

DON

Your exact words were, 

"There is no way he can be going out 

playing cards and watching movies that

Internet 24On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara