10. no new friends

The days were passing by faster than Psalm could keep up with

The days were passing by faster than Psalm could keep up with. He was currently on day six of working round the clock with three of those days being on call days. He hadn't had a decent night's rest or gotten to spend time with his son in almost a week and was quietly contemplating quitting his career for something with more flexible hours. Of course, he would never actually give up his job but it did motivate him to strive for his own practice where he made the hours.

He turns the corner as he steps off of the elevator onto the pediatric unit and the thought of Brilliant crosses his mind. They hadn't spoken much outside of a few replies to Instagram stories since their lunch, a few of which he'd left her on read for. Psalm knew he liked Brilliant a whole lot but he didn't have the time or space in his life for anything new romantically at the moment. He was navigating a new area of life where he worked constantly and his off days were reserved for his child only.

Once he found the right balance of work and fatherhood, he would try his luck pursuing her again. He just hoped it wouldn't be too late by that time.

"Dr.Montgomery, what brings you to the pediatric unit?" One of the nurses named Brittney asks him as he approaches the nurse's station. He could recognize her from the fling they'd had together during his first year of residency. Nowadays she was married and had three kids, Psalm was just thankful he hadn't slipped up and gotten her pregnant. Outside of sex, she was annoying and ran her mouth too much. He'd only gotten the chance to hit twice before the entire unit knew about them. Psalm cut her off quickly but dipped back into the pot here and there over the first year of his residency before cutting her off for good once she got engaged. He had all but forgotten about Brittney until he would see her around the hospital from time to time.

Just like the other women he had spent intimate time with, she was a none factor if he wasn't horny and looking for sex.

"I came down to speak to Brilliant. Is she working today?"

"Now, what do you want with Brilliant?" One of the other nurses named, Gemma asks butting into their conversation.

"It's personal. Now, is she here?" Psalm responds nipping their question asking in the bud before it got too out of hand.

"She is. She just went to the lounge for her lunch."

"Thank you." Psalm nods before turning and walking in the opposite direction of the nosy women. The sounds of their whispering can be heard once they think he's out of earshot. He sighs as he walks away hating how he'd allowed some of the women who worked in the hospital with him to become so comfortable speaking to him on a casual level. "Gotta keep my dick in my pants man." He grumbles while pushing open the door to the lounge.

Once inside he immediately spots those bouncy curls sitting across the room. Even though they weren't hard to spot in a room filled with either blonde ponytails, box braids or frontal wigs. Brilliants back was turned to him but he knew for sure it could only be her who had the lounge smelling of soft vanilla and fruity hair products, a mixture that he had grown fond of since they started speaking.