5. stranger

later that night

later that night...

Psalm paces the backyard of his mother's home with a blunt hanging from his lips. His mother didn't usually allow the boys to smoke in her home but she resisted saying anything because she of all people knew how badly Psalm needed it.

"Cannot believe this shit." He mumbles. The warm blunt is placed to his lips and sits down next to Saint who had been mostly silent since the dinner table. Nobody wanted to do or say the wrong thing further upsetting Psalm. "How long did you know?" Psalm ask after a few moments of silence.

"What?"

"How long did you know before you decided to tell me?"

"I just found out before dinner.... Kataya ain't even wanna tell me."

"Bullshit."

"Nigga do you really think ima sit up here in yo fucking face knowing what the fuck went down behind yo back. Don't question my loyalty!"

"I'm questioning all you niggas! Especially you kataya!" Psalm speaks loudly with his words directed at the one who hadn't spoken since they all stepped outside. "You knew? You knew what the fuck she did and you didn't tell me?!"

"I didn't feel like it was my place Psalm. That's your girlfriend, that's your relationship! She said she would tell you!"

"You should've known damn well she wasn't gone tell me shit. You my family, not Morgan! YOU should've fucking told me like my brother did."

"Aight..." Saint speaks as he stands putting some room between Kataya and Psalm. "You angry and you have every right to be. But, I can't let you take it out on her. You yelling at the wrong woman right now."

Psalm smacks his lips and waves his hand in front of Psalm shooing him.

"All Ima say is... you just as wrong as she is Kataya. I would've never kept no shit like that a secret from you. But, I see where we stand moving forward."

"Psalm, don't do that," Kataya responds gently. "You know why I didn't say anything."

"And I said I don't care. You my family, you... not just my fucking brother supposed to be looking out for me." Psalm shrugs as he walks away from the couple ending the back and forth that was about to being. He inhales the smoke from the blunt while taking a seat on the patio chairs on the opposite side of the backyard. The only thing running through his mind were thoughts of betrayal. How could she do that to him?

"We could've worked something out..." Psalm mumbles lowly.

His issue with the abortion wasn't the actual act in itself. If Morgan had let him know that things were too hard for her right now for another baby, Psalm wouldn't have forced her to have another child right now. The issue was that she went behind his back, deceiving him. He couldn't marry a woman who would make life-changing decisions behind his back... no matter how much he loved her.