6

Under the cloak of darkness, the kingdom lay in tranquil slumber, its inhabitants adrift in nocturnal fantasies. Yet there, amidst the shadows, sat Trilokya, her silhouette cast against an incomplete sculpture. The chamber's entrance creaked softly as an intruder's steps broke the silence.

Trilokya's voice, steady and expectant, cut through the stillness. "Malti, what news have you brought for me?" she inquired, her gaze fixed on the unfinished art before her, not deigning to glance at the newcomer.

"There is a rumour among the palace maids that Princess Meenaskhi is getting married to Prince Vikramaditya, my lady." Malti said, her voice firm.

"I am not interested in palace rumours, Malti. Tell me something other than that." Trilokya's cold voice resonated around the room.

"My lady, the chances of the rumor turning into a reality is very high. Just this morning, the rulers of Mewar reached the palace and Princess Meenakshi spent the majority of her time with the Queen of Mewar. I think even the prince has taken a liking towards the princess. I and a few other maids saw them talking in the royal garden beside pond. Even after dinner, the two of them went for a short walk. Princess Meenakshi was very happy after returning from the walk. We heard her proclaiming she likes the prince" Malti conveyed the events making Trilokya turn around and face the person for the first time in the day.

"Continue." Trilokya said, her attention full towards the lady in front of her.

"During dinner, Rajmatha was bragging to everyone about the culinary skills of Princess Meenakshi and the Queen and King of Mewar looked impressed after tasting her foods. Queen Padmini was very happy during the entire dinner." Malti briefed looking at Trilokya.

What game is that old woman trying to play? First, she approaches me to attract the prince and then hints to the marriage between Meenakshi and Vikramaditya. Trilokya thought.

She looked at Malti and nodded her head. "Were there no other royalties except the Mewar?"

"No, my lady." Malti shook head as a denial. "The remaining all other royals will be arriving by tomorrow since the Royal is the day after. I don't know why Mewar's royalty came earlier even though they could have come last since they are the nearest one."

Trilokya heaved out a sigh. Her grandmother's suspicions regarding the prince of Mewar came suddenly appeared in her mind. What if she was correct? If that was the case, then she would have to save her hometown from their attack. But the question remained how. How was she supposed to stop him? Yes, she had fought a number of times but there was a huge difference. Trilokya had only fought but Vikramaditya? That man had led the wars and had won them all. How was she supposed to fight with such a man for the throne of Marwar?

"My lady? Are you okay?" Malti looked at Trilokya; concern was visible in her eyes.

"Yeah. Yeah." Trilokya took a deep breath. "What do you think of Rajmata's plan regarding my disguise, Malti?"

"I think you should go to the Royal ball just like she said, my lady. Maybe diverting the attention of the prince from Princess Meenakshi will help you in your plan. Both of you want the same thing, my lady. Maybe sharing the throne with him as a wife will not be a big problem." Malti said cautiously.

Trilokya's gaze hardened with resolve as she confided in Malti, "The truth is, I have no desire to divide the throne's power. And your counsel seems astute. By shifting his affections from Meenakshi to myself, I can certainly gain an advantage. Once he's ensnared by my charms, eliminating him will be a trivial matter. My attack will come at a moment of his greatest vulnerability." The malevolent glint in her eyes was unmistakable. In her mind, she envisioned a future where the throne of Mewar was hers alone, unshared and undisputed, a testament to her cunning and ambition.