02

The birds chirping outside are melodious but I hate it because this can only mean one thing. It's morning.

I roll off my bed and get to school as fast as I can. The day passes by in a blur until it's finally Spanish class.

I wait outside the door for a particular black haired dude, and when I can't find him I lazily strut inside the class and sit randomly.

Right before the bell rings, Ángel enters the class, accompanied by a black eye and sits on my right after our eyes connect.

"Did you punch yourself after realizing you're an asshat?" I query after a long silence.

"What did I do to you?" He asks. He means "What did I do to deserve the name calling?"

"Apparently you don't have to do anything. I just hate your gut." I roll my eyes at him and take out my Spanish book. Opening page 25 as written on the whiteboard.

"Fuck." He curses and grip his hair.

"What? Are you dying?" I gasp dramatically.

"You'd be happy to hear that, wouldn't you?" He rolls his tongue in his cheek.

"Very." I say, no humor in my word.

"Can we share?" He nudges his chin to my book.

"No, you can share with him though." I tip my chin to the guy sitting on his right.

He scrunches his eyebrows in disgust and I understand why. The guy is basically putting his pencil in his nose. Ew. I keep my thoughts to myself and smile at him innocently.

"I'd rather die." He says quite loudly.

I bite my lip to stop the laughter from coming out of my mouth. Subtly I slide the book towards him a little and he thank me silently.

Half of the lesson and my consciousness is gone alas I fall asleep.

"What do you want?" I look at the cloaked shadow and ask the question I want the answer to.

"You need to tell me what El Mar has that makes him so powerful." It responds.

"Him?" My forehead starts to sweat as heat engulfs my body.

"You'll know soon enough, Cara." He pulls out the blade hidden in his cloak and points it at me. "But right now you need to WAKE UP CARA!" The loud voice fills the room.

"-WAKE UP CARA! WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT SLEEPING IN MY LESSON?" The Spanish teacher yells at me.

"Yes Cara, what did she tell you about sleeping in her lesson." Ángel teases from beside me. "Panda." He says as if to mock me.

I rub my eyes groggily and apologize to the teacher before she says "Last chance Miss Sánchez!"

At least I get some useful information from that nap. El Mar is not the sea but a man that goes by that name. And that cloaked guy needs me to find something that makes him powerful? But how?

Ángel grabs the book and writes something down. [lo conociste.] (You met him)

It's not a question, it's a statement. And I don't have to think twice about it. He means the cloaked man.

"You know him." I look at him in shock.

He shushes me with his finger and points the pencil on my book, pushing the pencil in my hand for me to write my reply. I look at him suspiciously but write down my response anyway.

[sí, ¿cómo lo sabes?] (Yes, how do you know?)

[no necesitas saber eso] You don't need to know that. He push the book to me again.

[vete a la mierda, ¡cabrón!] (fuck you, asshole!)

I snatch my book from him and accidentally tear the page. I give him a look that causes him to lower his gaze to my book but not enough to erase the smirk from his face.

Huffing angrily I pack all my things ready to leave the class as soon as possible. I just want this day to end.

When the bell rings I get up from my seat and get ready to leave. He slips a piece of paper in my hand and I look back at him in question.

"Read it only when you're alone." He drags his sentence like he wants to say something else but stops, gets up, and leaves the class.

I enter the girls bathroom and check to see if I'm alone. [it's alphabet in code] As if on cue a message pings. I fish out my phone from my pocket and see the message from an unknown number.

Unknown Number: 4.15.14.20.20.5.12.12.1.14.25.15.14.5.

I check google right away and search for the Alphabet number or whatnot code.

D.O.N.T. T.E.L.L. A.N.Y.O.N.E.

Don't tell anyone.

I furrow my brows. About what? The weird dream I had?

I change the Unknown Number to Ángel García. I furiously tuck the phone back to my pocket and use a lighter to burn the paper and flush it down the toilet. I get out of the stall and find a girl entering just as I'm about to exit and hear her say, "What the hell is that smell?" She closes her nose and exits the bathroom forgetting about wanting to pee.

Well, it's not my fault, really.

I go to my locker and open it, another message pops in.

Ángel García: You little minx.

Me: What do you mean?

Ángel García: Did you make a deal with someone recently?

Me: No, why?

Ángel García: Because, apparently he's looking for you because of the deal you made with him.

Me: Who?

Ángel García: El Mar

Me: You know El Mar?

Ángel García:He's a friend.

Me: You're friends with El Mar?

Ángel García: Yeah, is it that shocking?

I look around and lock my phone, tucking it my the pocket.

Crazy fucking day.