Stranger Danger

Začať od začiatku

Just when he thought of leaving, Ms Wickleworth strolled in with Leah in her arms.

"Oh, you're awake too." She commented in a tone that proved she was still wary of him. "I don't know how you got in here last night, but Mrs Hopkins will make sure to keep you behind lock and key when she returns. It's strange that such a tiny dog could be so mischievous and sneaky. It's harmful for young Leah. Best keep your distance if you feel up to barking again."

Sinclair watched her tiptoe around him to get to Leah's bed. The latter was encased in a towel and her head rested against Wickleworth's shoulder. When the old lady turned to set her down, Leah's eyes met his own.

"Tinkel!" She squealed and began to cry.

Ms Wickleworth panicked a bit. "What is that? Eh, Leah? You want something?" She got up and retrieved all of Leah's toys to which Leah rejected and cried even louder.

Since nobody came rushing to her aid, Sinclair concluded that the day staff were all stashed somewhere minding their jobs. It was not their business if Leah cried until night fell. He watched Wickleworth battle with the frustration of not understanding what Leah kept requesting for. Her attempts to lotion the girl ended up in cosmetic spillages and a big mess on the bed.

Then, Sinclair climbed up to the bed and nestled close to Leah. Her wailing instantly died off and she wrapped both arms around his face. Her skin felt incredibly hot.

"Oh!" Wickleworth exclaimed in a small voice of realization. "You wanted the dog. I see now. Well," Her eyes darted from girl to animal. "That bit is cleared up, thank goodness. You can keep her company while I wipe up the mess here."

After the bed was tidy again, Wickleworth brought in Leah's breakfast. In that time, her face brightened more than Sinclair seen it a long while, and she laughed at the mess she made with the food, frustrating her nanny all over again.

"It's a good thing you're feeling much better now, Leah, but I wish you'd find some other way to crack yourself up than spitting your food at me." She heaved a sigh. "Christ's sake, she's one. Of course that's funny."

After the meal, Sinclair fetched the soft green ball and they passed it to each other in silence.

Then, the nanny came to pick him up for a bath, setting Leah off into a fit of wails.

"You've had your bath, Leah, let him have his." The nanny tried to reason, but Leah could barely hear above her screaming.

Sinclair wiggled out of Wickleworth's grip and allowed Leah hold onto him. She made to stand, but her legs wiggled and she fell back on her behind again, upsetting her. Before she could cry, he offered her the ball.

Luckily, Wickleworth had the idea to bring Leah along and kept her stationed safely by the bathroom door.

His breakfast came with its own problems when Leah tried to take a scoop out of it with her bare hand. It began to seem as if she was on a lookout for different ways to upset herself, and Sinclair slowly began to understand Wickleworth's frustration.

The real struggle came when it was nap time.

Even with him by her side, Leah refused to sleep, calling for her mummy.

Before the end of it all, Ms Wickleworth developed a terrible headache and had to go downstairs to ask Lucy for help.

"You have medications?" Lucy inquired as she cradled Leah on her shoulder, gently patting her back.

"Yes, I. . ." Wickleworth panted for breaths whilst uncorking a white medicine bottle. "I am recovering from an old fatigue syndrome. These keep the pains at a minimum."