Chapter 31 - "New Acquaintances"

I wasn't sure what Shiba meant by 'ability'.
You just had to think and speak, right?

"Mine helps me aim projectiles, but everyone has a different one for their personality. What's yours?"

"I don't know... I don't think I have one." I responded.
I don't think the magic here is the same as what I'm used to.

"Oh no, that would be silly, everyone has one! Think about what your strongest desire is, and then you can figure it out from there."
Or so he says, but I don't know what that is.

What is it that I want?
The only thing I've had to worry about was having a family, I just want to live long enough to enjoy a full family life without worry.

Maybe if I look at this haze covering my body differently, it could be some kind of protection?
What if I'm feeling weak from overusing all my energy on covering my whole body with a defense?

It doesn't feel like I'm covered in a shield, it just feels like I'm straight up losing all my Mana.
I just need to focus... Just imagine containing all of my Mana in my body.

I wasn't expecting much, but the haze goes away immediately.
I was able to reduce it to just a thin layer of purple coating my scales, but I wasn't able to completely stop it.

The feeling was incredible, it's like I was lethargic for years and suddenly had a burst of energy!
As I tested it out I discovered I could control where it was covering, but I wasn't that good at controlling it like that yet.

"Is this it?" I asked.

"It looks like a cool defense, but an ability usually has more uses than just one thing..." He said.

Is this not an ability? Wait, is the magic here different?
So why does it feel like I'm using Mana?

If I think about it carefully, what should happen when Mana mixes with some unfamiliar similar energy?
That must be what the haze around me is. I wasn't sure if that would help in defence, though.

Maybe if I focus on the energy of this world, I can imagine a barrier or shield.
I concentrated on it until a translucent red block materialized in front of me.

"I did it!" I cheered at my success while striking it to see that it really holds up.

"Great!" Shiba affirmed. "You should be able to control it better if you practice."

"Is this all? Let's hurry and go save your friend, then."
I wanted to get down to business right away.
The longer I spent the longer I'd have to be in this unfamiliar world without my friends.

"It'll take at least two days to get there, no need to be in such a rush-"

"Two days if you're traveling, maybe. But we're not going to be going slow like that. Hurry and get on!" I interrupted and gestured to get him on my back.
He seemed to think he shouldn't and I started thinking I was going to have to pull him up there myself until he finally got his stuff together and got on.

I was slammed with the memories of how much Ria loved being on my back the same way.
Just a little longer, I'll be back soon...

He seemed to like it too.
"This is fun! I didn't think I would ever be riding a dragon!"

"Just tell me which way to go and we're off!"

"That way!" He pointed and I took off quickly in that direction.

This world really looked like it was withered and about to die.
There wasn't a single living thing in sight that didn't look dangerous.

I flew and flew and there was nothing but the same environment for what felt like miles.
Eventually a loose collection of buildings came into view.