01

"The first place goes to..... Summer Breeze by Jace Hudson!" The host announced the winner for the art contest, and as expected it was Jace who won.

Everyone in the stadium cheered and congratulated him as he received his awards, he just smiled at them, it was fake but no one seemed to notice, after all he's been doing that for a decade now.

"You're really talented son, maybe one day you'll be the next Van Gogh," The Art club mentor complimented him, he just stared at him and flashed his fake smile.

Didn't he killed himself? He thought to himself, but nodded nonetheless.

Jace was the representative of their school in an international Art contest and really, it's not a surprise that he won, he already made a name ever since he's 8 years old, but all of it didn't matter to him.

How could this piece won? It's nothing but empty and lifeless? He thought to himself, he tried so hard to see it in different angle, different perspective and still see nor feel anything but emptiness.

His day passed by like a blur and soon he found himself in the school bus heading back to school, he mentally readied himself for a bunch of congratulations from the teachers and students.

Good thing when they got back it was pass dismissal and there are few students left, he didn't know them so he's just about to walk past them to his car when his mentor called out to him.

"Jace! I'm really proud of you son, I hope you know that, today was an amazing day and another achievement for you, congratulations again, I'll see you tomorrow, go get some sleep," Mr. Jennings said, Jace just gave him a tight smile and soon left the school premises.

On his way home, he can't help but think about his piece that just won the international art contest, it didn't deserve to win, you can't see the happiness it radiates, it's nothing but hallow, it's sad and empty.

But there's nothing he can do about it, if everyone can see happiness in his painting then so be it, he knows it's far from happy.

As soon as he parked outside his place, he took a deep breath before entering.

"I'm home," he mumbled quietly, he knows no one would respond since he lives alone, but it gives him assurance and he can pretend that his parents are still with him.

He sighed and prepared his dinner, after eating silently he went to his studio to paint something lively, vibrant, vivacious. But alas, he achieved nothing, he can't feel it, all he feels was emptiness, so he left his canvas blank and left the studio.

The next day to say was tiring, as soon as Jace stepped foot in the school, everyone turned to him like he's some kind of celebrity, well maybe he is, but he didn't let it get to him, he walked past them and kept his head low.

It's only half a day and half the student body have congratulated him, and he's tired of it, knowing his piece didn't deserve to win.

It is already lunch time, he didn't like eating lunch in the cafeteria it's way too loud for him, so he went to where he usually spend his free time, the art studio, but he immediately regrets it, knowing that his recent piece is displayed there, and probably a few students would take a look at it, and he wasn't alone.

Just as he was about to leave, he heard voices.

"I'm telling you, it's a happy painting, it's far from what you think," he recognized that voice, Elyse, one of the member of art club.

"El, just because the colors are vibrant and the muse is smiling, doesn't mean it's happy, I can feel it, he's drowning in loneliness, the painting is reflecting what he feels, he's wasting his talent," another voice said, this time he didn't recognized it, it's an unfamiliar voice, and at the statement, his eyes widened in shock, finally, someone saw past his paintings.

"Zin, lower your voice someone might hear you, and where's your proof that's what Jace really feels when he painted this? I don't get it, if that's true, then why would he paint something lively when he's dead inside." Elyse said, and it's quiet for a moment he thought that they already left, but the other girl said something that shocked him even more.

"You just gotta look past the painting itself, don't just look what is seen, feel what is seen," the mysterious voice said.

"You're being delusional Zin, there's no way that painting is sad," Elyse insisted.

"Sometimes, the one's that is most alive on the outside is dead on the inside, what we see is not always the reality– their reality."

"I don't really know what you're talking about—"

"She's right Elyse, that painting is dull and empty," Jace interrupted and revealing himself to the girls, Elyse who looked like she's about to pass out and the other one who started at him blankly.

"I'm so so sorry about my friend, she doesn't know what she's talking about, she knows nothing about paintings, don't let her words affect you, I think your painting are lively and vibrant!" Elyse ranted but Jace ignored her.

"What's your name?" He turned to the mysterious girl.

"Zinnia,"

"Zinnia, meet me here at 5pm sharp, don't be late," that's the only words he said before leaving the girls alone, he needs to know if Zinnia can look past all his paintings, and for the first time, he broke his routine.

To be continued...