Chapter 42: This is the only kindness I can offer him

**************************************

Rishe headed up the stairs in pursuit of Theodore. This building appeared to have once been an inn, and she sensed no one else inside but the three of them. They were on the third floor—Theodore seemed to be on the fourth and still climbing. Catching up, Rishe found the doors to the roof left open.

She stepped out into what once must have been a space for hanging laundry. She pictured the tableau of dozens of sheets softly fluttering in the wind.

Tonight, all was silent. Theodore stood under the spill of a starry sky.

"Prince Theodore?"

He flinched like a scolded child, then turned back to her with a pout. "Oh, do you have another lecture prepared? Perhaps on running away? Should I have run down and out instead of up?"

"I know you weren't trying to run away."

If he wanted to escape, he would have just left.

Theodore huffed. "I wanted to speak without my brother present. I've shamed myself enough as it is."

The prince strode over to the roof's edge, propping himself up against the railing. His eyes were wide and earnest. Gone was the petulant look of a boy intent on dodging his truths.

"You know, my brother doesn't ever take credit for the brilliant policy changes he makes to improve our country." Theodore smiled.

"Eventually the citizens find out, though. But they never say. Or they credit our father." His sleek hair fluttered in the wind. "On the other hand, there's an unnatural number of rumors about my brother. Do you know what I'm talking about?"

"About how cruel he was during the war?"

"Exactly," Theodore said. "You're from another country—you'll have heard all about it. Why do you think the crown prince of the victorious nation is infamous everywhere?"

The answer he was looking for was obvious. "Because Prince Arnold himself intended for such rumors to spread."

Theodore nodded. "That's what I think too. He hides his meritorious deeds and spreads the contemptible. He's ruining his own reputation. I can't imagine he intends to participate in politics for much longer. And there's more."

He slowly shut his eyes. "He has no attachment to his position as crown prince. He's arranging his affairs so that he can disappear whenever he wants to. I know I'm right—I've watched him for so long."

Rishe said nothing.

"I don't know the next phase of his plans, but we can't let him just disappear. He's too important. Don't you agree?"

Theodore had no idea what kind of future Arnold would choose. He had no way of knowing that Arnold wasn't planning to step down from politics—he was going to incite a massacre. But Theodore's sense of impending crisis was spot-on.

"Everything I've done has mimicked his moves," Theodore said. "If he plans to entrust the nation to me and then disappear, then I'll disappear first. I'll save him from his own stupidity."

Theodore gazed at Rishe with the eyes that matched his brother's, then smiled gently.

"This is the only kindness I can offer him."

Rishe had so many things she wanted to share. And to ask. "Why are you telling me all of this?"

"Because just now you said that we're afraid of the same thing. Assuming you've figured out what I'm thinking, you're afraid of him disappearing too. I suppose that makes sense. Your position as his wife would be in jeopardy if something happened to him."

On the contrary, but Rishe kept that to herself. She couldn't tell him she knew his brother would kill her in five years.

"I thought it would be worth confirming your fears." His gaze went flinty.

"Maybe I could finally frighten you off."

Another roundabout motive. This was getting annoying. Rishe wished these brothers would tone down the emotional manipulation.

"Don't look at me like that. You stole my beloved brother from me. I'm allowed my revenge. Not that he was ever very brotherly to me. But I'll still be gratified if this leaves you hopeless of ever preventing the future you fear."

"May I get a word in?" Rishe asked, just as a strong gust of wind blew across the rooftop. She clutched Arnold's jacket to her shoulders so it wouldn't fly away.

"I won't be afraid of the future anymore."

Theodore looked at her with surprise. Rishe felt as if the ground were contorting under her feet.

The medicine's wearing off. I just need a little bit longer.

"Your brother must be planning something momentous. I intend to use all my power and every means at my disposal to stop him." She took a deep breath and balanced herself, trying not to wobble.

"I won't hesitate. I will take all the help I can get, no matter what debts I incur. One can't be picky when faced with an opponent like him." She pierced him with her gaze.

"Naturally, that includes you."

"Me?"

Theodore swiftly covered his confusion with a sneer. "Such confidence. My brother truly chose well. But I don't think you'll be able to stop him. Nothing I say will influence him. The most I can do is obstruct his plans."

"That's what you've been doing for the past two years, am I right? Putting your own position at risk, dirtying your hands. But if you truly wish to help your brother, I suggest focusing on your own life. On what makes you happy."

"What?" This time Theodore couldn't downplay the bafflement. "Why is my happiness related to his future?"

"Prince Arnold would not wish for a future in which you were unhappy."

"That doesn't make sense."

"Of course it does," Rishe said. "You're the only brother he has."

Theodore stared at her.

"Why do you think Prince Arnold came here alone in the middle of the night?"

"To save you. Obviously."

"His Highness knows I wouldn't go quietly. And that I can save myself."

And he knew that Theodore wouldn't treat Rishe cruelly.

"If you had been anyone else, I am sure Prince Arnold wouldn't have come. He's the crown prince—he can't rashly follow the directions of kidnappers. He came here because it was a demand from his little brother, nothing more."

"Stop it. I don't need to hear this from you," Prince Theodore said, voice strangled. "Are you trying to say that he loves me? That's ridiculous. I've learned not to hope for such things."

"Prince Theodore—"

"He doesn't spare me a single thought. Even our father hates me. I've done nothing to earn his respect. But it's fine." Theodore sighed and smiled.

"Brother saved me once. I owe him my life. I doubt he even remembers it." He looked over his shoulder, gazing beyond the railing.

"It's my own choice what I do with my life."