Chapter 6: New Companion

Back to Kiyo and Yuno’s POV

Gesturing for Yuno to make a passage through the looming wrought-iron door, the numbness receded from his motion-reactive battle stance as he concentrated on any dangers that might appear from the other side. However, instead of a menacing foe, a surprising sight met his eyes: whose towering form was about six-feats tall, his features bearing the struggle and anxiety of the expected outcome. The man, gripped by fear and anxiety could barely clench his hand, trying his best to as the imagined baseball bat was going to hit him, but still, as the hideous creature came closer to him, he stood his ground. That unforeseen encounter with an apparent monster notwithstanding, I learnt to realize that reality is often full of dissimilarities compared to the one that has a mental picture of a place where dangers are in places where least expected.

A silent understanding passed between them but only to be broken immediately when Kiyo and the man warily assessed each other in that moment creating an unprecedented and at that time a defining tense moment of peace between two warring factions.

"Come in," he informed the stranger who was now facing him, his voice as smooth as possible, nevertheless having had a slight quiver in his hands as Yuno quickly closed the heavy iron door behind him. He peered cautiously across the open space as Yuno set the barricade, sounding those hungry zombie claws clawing at the metal, filling the air and making him shiver all over.

However, at this point Vin felt a moment of tranquility, sinking himself on the soft grass in the yard that offered him a brief relief from the adrenaline that spread through his body. Likewise, the peace though temporary, both he and Yuno were careful with their steps, alert to the fact that the outsider might not be as he portrays himself and therefore could harbor more dangers in the midst of all the chaos.

During the process of the man when recollecting the details of how the situation got to be in the mysterious way it was, the two originally were skeptical, but as time unveiled, they both managed to have a more empathetic view. At first, their eyes had been a mix of curiosity and caution, an embodiment of the range of their emotions towards the stranger who was in their presence. Nevertheless, the man was forced to unfold his story, which explored his real character and dilemma, as a result of which both people turned out to be more sympathetic towards his situation. Yet his words sounded strange to them, but made them forget about the mistrust that could be seen since the first contact. The change in their body language, which before characterized their people with watchfulness, now expressed some elements of care and understanding.

Not limited to the man's story, the tale also gave the duo a general comprehension about the situation. In spite of the initial ambiance of embarrassment that permeated their communication, there was a visible shift that was taking place and as a result, a feeling of bonding started to manifest among the three of them.

Kiyo then asked the man to introduce himself before telling him the situation of the stronghold.

A notification-like sound reverberated throughout Kiyo’s inner consciousness.

[Ding! A new resident has been detected…

Would you like to turn him into a Subordinate?

Yes/No]