CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE:

A series of bad decisions and staying up until 1:30AM made my head hurt like it's gonna split any time soon. I wasn't aware that we had to wake up at 2AM to travel to Oslob before the sun rises so we could watch the whale sharks eat their breakfast. If my head is in the right place right now, I would have woken up at two in the morning with a smile on my face. Instead, I am standing in line at five in the morning wearing a red bikini top and black shorts, the hair in my body standing from the coldness of the morning air, and a head that's aching from alcohol and lack of sleep.

Julian came back in the line after getting something in the car for me. He made me wear his black long-sleeved shirt to help me with my shivering. I looked at him from head-to-toe realizing he's only wearing a sleeveless grey fitted muscle tee and matching shorts. "Aren't you cold?" I asked, my eyes were barely opening from being tired. He shook his head even though I could see him trying to hide his shivering hand. I reached out my hand to hold his, blowing some air coming out of my mouth to our intertwined fingers to give it warmth.

"What?" I became curious from the way he was staring at me.

Julian looked away after giving himself a smirk. "Nothing... I just realized something."

"Realize what?"

"How lucky I am to have you in my life. I know it's too early for this kind of realization, but it's true. And... that I–"

"That I lo–" Julian hesitated for a bit but before he could continue what he was saying, Jae made us follow the line that was already moving without us noticing. He ended up saying nevermind as the moment already passed, making Julian a little awkward about it. When our tour guide helped us get inside, we still had to wait for at least half an hour before we got into the boat. There were a lot of tourists this time around, hoping to get a glimpse of the whale sharks. Everyone was busy taking pictures, listening to the guidelines and rules we have to follow, or just waiting for them to get called.

While we were standing in a corner waiting for our turn to get in a boat, I found Eric walking enthusiastically in our direction. He nodded at Julian like he's saying hello before grabbing me on my wrist to take pictures of him with the view of the sea as his background. He signaled me to wait as he unbuttoned his denim shirt, revealing a set of packed abs I never thought I'd see. I cleared my throat while focusing on taking a good picture of him without actually looking at his body with my own eyes. Eric, however, didn't button his shirt again when he walked next to me to check the pictures. When I felt our shoulders touch, it made me move a few steps away. I don't even know why I'm acting awkward all of a sudden. My mind was too focused on being tired, I forgot that I'll see them taking their shirts off in front of me.

"Wait... a few of these are a little blurred, see?" Eric stepped closer to make me look at his phone. I crossed my arms as I peeked at the photos I just took. I was clicking the button fast because I could feel my heart rising whenever I'd take a glimpse of his body, I ended up taking ugly pictures of him. I know Eric is constantly going to the gym but I've never pictured in my head the state of his body. We're friends for God's sake, we don't think about that kind of stuff.

"Oh... yeah. Akin na ulit, sorry nilalamig kasi kamay ko." I gestured to him to go back where he was standing before but Eric's looking at me with a grin painted on his face like he knows what's up. I held my breath as I took his picture properly this time. I probably took another ten shots so he'd have enough photos to choose from when both of us heard two people fighting near the stalls.

"What do you even want me to say for you to stop acting like that?" Our heads turned to the left to look at our friends. Even the sound of the waves and the overlapping voices of other people can't mask the ongoing fight between Hiro and Markie.