CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

A deafening silence surrounded the court as we circled around Jacob who dropped to the ground. Shay immediately kneeled beside him as she cupped his face to look at the damage Jae caused. Jacob tried to hide the pain he was feeling, but he kept touching his nose like any second blood would come out of it. He sat down on the ground for a while, not having the strength to stand up.

"I'm sorry," Jae tried to step closer to where Shay and Jacob were but Eric blocked him. "Hindi ko sinasadya, it was an accident."

"We know, we know. Let's just give them space, yeah?" Eric said to calm Jae down. Shay glanced at Jae like she's sending daggers in his direction. "Patingin." She said, still cupping Jacob's face with her hands while analyzing every feature to find any injury.

"I'm fine, Shay. I swear." As Jacob said these words to comfort an upset Shay, blood slowly dripped down from his nose. I covered my mouth from the sight of the blood as we panicked. Yohan and Julian helped Jacob to stand up so they could go to the hospital but Shay stayed from where she was standing for a while until they were out of sight. She curled her hands into a fist as she walked in Jae's direction to punch him in the face.

"Oh my God!" Maya exclaimed before helping Jae, "He said it was an accident, Shay. That was uncalled for!" Jae couldn't look at her eyes as he touched the side of his face Shay punched. Shay heaved out a sigh as her hands kept shaking from the anger she's keeping inside. I held her trembling hands to calm her down while watching Maya panic as she repeatedly asked him if he's okay. "Shay!" Maya called her name in disbelief, not believing that her friend can do that to someone she likes.

"Kung naghihintay ka ng apology, hindi ko 'yon ibibigay." Shay's voice trembled as her eyes glistened with tears. I uttered let's go under my breath to remind her that we have to bring Jacob to the hospital to get checked. The intensity in her eyes as she glared at Jae one last time before we left, made him look defeated.

Yohan drove to the hospital like a maniac, and we got to the nearest hospital in under ten minutes because of it. Julian helped Yohan in the directions on the way to hospital while I was helping Shay with Jacob's nosebleeds by pulling out a bunch of tissues I had in my bag. Jacob was being nice by reminding Shay it was an accident but it was not enough for her anger to dissipate that quickly. Few minutes had passed since we got in the emergency room, and we're still not being called. Shay was sitting down beside me while zoning out. I don't know how to tell her it'll be okay except by being here on her side to hold her hand.

I looked at Julian and Yohan walking towards us with a cup of chocolate they bought from the vending machine. Yohan gave Shay a cup before sitting down beside her. "Thank you." I mumbled as Julian handed me a cup as well. "I'm sorry." I looked at his face that's being clouded with guilt.

"What are you sorry for?" I immediately asked, concern was plastered on my face. "If I didn't decide to join the tryouts, then this wouldn't have happened." Julian said without even looking at my face out of shame. I slid my fingers into his hands to intertwine them together before touching his cheeks so he'd look at me. I slowly shook my head as I pressed my lips, "It's not your fault, it's Jae's. Don't beat yourself up about it, okay."

Julian looked into my eyes for a second before resting his forehead on the side of my head. He stayed in that position for a while, grasping every word that I just said in his mind before leaving a soft kiss on my temple. "Okay." He muttered under his breath.

Yohan was trying to comfort Shay even though it was his best friend who did this to Jacob. I guess he felt guilty as well for what happened even if it wasn't his fault to begin with. I don't know why I have this feeling in my chest that I couldn't shake since I noticed the way Jae looked at Shay when I was eating lunch with Kylo that day. I haven't seen him look at her that way before–probably because I don't pay attention to anything he does unless I'm forced to. I have no idea if that was the first time or if it has been happening for a while. But I do know that kind of look. The way your eyes sparkle when you look at someone you have feelings for. I see that look in Yohan every time Maya is around; I know it because I had that same sparkle when I was still in love with Kylo.