49. Its Too Late To Turn Back Now

Start from the beginning

She looked like a deer in the headlights, quiet and just trying to take this all in.

"....you...you really don't remember me?"
She just continued to look at me questionably but sympathetically, obviously feeling bad she couldn't give me the answer I wanted. My heart shattered into a million pieces. I thought I had lost my wife, and had been lucky enough to lay my eyes on her again...but they still took my girl away from me...all these years we've spent working to be where we are, just for it to be pulled out from under me. Her bottom lip began to tremble.

"I have a husband and a daughter? I can't remember." She sniffled. "Why am I here? What happened to me?"

"It's okay. It's going to be okay." I assured her, but maybe I was actually trying to reassure myself. I tried to pull myself together so I could comfort her. I'm sure she's scared. I wanted to be there for her even if, in this moment, I was a complete stranger.

"I don't know who I am." She cried looking frightened. I bit my lip to stop myself from tearing up too and I ran my fingers through her hair wishing I could comfort her.

"You're Eve Celeste Davis." I took a breath. "You're a wonderful wife, a great writer, you're funny, you're witty, you're kind...you're loved by so many people. It's going to be okay and we're going to get through this, okay?"

She looked up at me, tears silently running down her cheeks and I wiped her tears away, wanting so badly just to kiss her and hold her. I just wanted my Eve back, and I was hoping she would return to me soon.
______________________

The next couple days were long and endless, but I stayed by Eve's side as much as possible even if she truly didn't know who I was. The police were being extremely patient, trying to get information from her but she had been having a hard time remembering what occurred. The neurologist said it was a form of shock. It was her brain's way of coping with the trauma of the attack and blocking  it out all together.

I understood it but I was also frustrated.

I felt whoever robbed us of our happiness was getting away with it each day they went free, and I was trying so hard not to lose my shit for Evie's sake. Although I was very much feeling alone lately, I had a lot of people reach out to me since news got out about Evie and the amount of support we were getting was overwhelming. I was lucky for Folio, Nick and Jolly. They constantly came by and checked on me, making sure I had something to eat (even though I barely wanted to) and extra clothes. They also took turns coming to meet their niece.

The nurses and the people on Eve's healthcare team were phenomenal. Each day babygirl was getting stronger, and they were teaching me how to change her, bathe her, and feed her. It was bittersweet. I knew it was my responsibility to learn these things, but I was sad that I was doing this all without Evie. Ever since we found out she was pregnant, I had been looking forward to all of these milestones with Eve and learning how to be parents together. It saddened me to think that wasn't happening  and it was up to me to get my shit together for this baby and for my wife. They need me. I was extremely overwhelmed, with so much new information being thrown at me all at once, but I kept telling myself that the more I changed her diapers and fed her that it would eventually become second nature.

Eve still didn't recognize me yet, but over the last couple days I told her bits and pieces about who she is and about our life together. I was hoping it would jog her memory. I did leave some details out, staying away from the horrific reasons as to why she was here in the first place. I often skipped over her questions about her injuries. I knew it probably wasn't the right way to go about it, but if she could go a little while without the emotional pain coming back to her, I wanted to give her that mental peace for now.