Taking the first step

Start from the beginning

"Why do you need to talk to Germany?" Canada asked curiously.

"I need to ask him about something. It's to do with Arts Appreciation Week," as soon as he said that, the whole table groaned loudly.

Italy shrugged, "Come on, it isn't that bad." We all shot him a dirty look and Italy raised his hands in mock surrender. "You don't find it bad because you find it enjoyable but for the majority, it sucks," Japan grumbled and I nodded in agreement. Arts Appreciation Week was the worst programme the school ever invented. During the week, we were often tasked to do analysis on different artworks–from the five different artforms (visual, literary, musical, theatrical and dance). It was extremely boring and most of the school hated it. Still, the programme had never been scrapped as UN had always felt that it was an integral part of the "Pangea Preparatory Academy experience" as he had dubbed it. Furthermore, the programme was heavily supported by most kingdoms so there wasn't much that we could do. Did I ever mention that Italy's kingdom, the Kingdom of Historia, even pumped a ton of money into the programme? No? Well now you know.

We continued to squabble over the issue, until Italy decided to admit defeat. "Fine, fine, fair enough. I suppose the programme can be a tad boring," he rolled his eyes good naturedly as we finished our dinner. I grinned and high-fived SK who sat next to me.

After dinner, I returned back to my dorm room. SK, Canada and America had gone to the library to do work while Japan and Italy decided to meet up with some other friends of theirs. When I got back to my dorm, I saw that Singapore's room was dark while Germany's one was brightened. His door was ajar, allowing me a sneak peek into his room. Jeez, it's so plain and boring. At least my room had some pizazz to it. Germany's one looked as if it was just a prison cell–abelit more comfortable. There was no personality to it, as if no one lived there. Then again, Germany's personality was really flat and boring so I guess it wasn't too far of a stretch to have a plain and boring room for him at least.

Germany emerged from his room dressed in a plain white shirt with a black jacket and grey sweatpants. "Hello Poland," he tried to smile but it looked awkward and he quickly stopped. "How come you're back early?" he asked.

"I need to finish up the math homework ASEAN gave. And then read up for history class."

"Ah I see. Well, good luck then. Some of the questions were very challenging."

I groaned internally while thanking him. Damn it. And here I was hoping I'd be able to get it done quickly. I dumped my satchel onto the bed, deciding to procrastinate a bit by showering first. When I was done, I took a deep breath, steadying my nerves for a night of pain and torture.

*

"UGH!" I slammed my head down on the table. "Why the hell is this so difficult?" I was on the verge of ripping up my book in anger. I had taken a "break" to study for history after realising I was not making any progress on my math homework for an hour. I started work at 7pm and it was now almost 9.30pm. Frustration gnawed at me and I glared at my math book.

Knock! Knock! I looked up, my door opening to reveal Germany. His hair was slightly messy, as if he just woke up. "I heard screams. Is everything okay?" he asked, his accent prominent. I shivered, recalling how TR's heavily-accented voice would grate my ears every time he spoke. He's already gone, Polska. He can't harm you, I reminded myself, not wanting to fall into the rabbit hole of traumatic memories–even if one figure from my past was currently standing in front of me. Germany is...nice anyways. He helped you overcome the bad nightmares.

"I...it's just the math homework is killing me. I don't get it at all," I admitted to him. Germany's eyes widened, "I thought you were good at math?"

"Well...I wasn't really paying attention in class today so...hehehe," I chuckled weakly, rubbing my neck sheepishly.