Chapter 39: A Pact Sealed in Light and Shadow

Start from the beginning

But intertwined with that longing was the lingering doubt, the uncertainty of trusting Kurumi and her enigmatic motives. Could he truly rely on her to guide him back, or was she merely a puppet master pulling his strings for her own gain?

As he met Kurumi's gaze, he sensed the gravity of the decision he faced. "I... I need to go back," Kirito admitted, his voice steady despite the turmoil within. "But I can't ignore the doubts, Kurumi. I need assurance that helping you won't lead me astray."

He paused, searching her eyes for any hint of deception. "If aiding you means sacrificing my principles or endangering others, then I can't accept your help. My world may be waiting, but I won't abandon my morals to reach it."

Kirito's resolve hardened as he spoke, his determination clear in his words. "So, Kurumi, if you truly intend to assist me, prove it. Show me that your intentions are pure, and I'll consider trusting you as my guide back home."

Kurumi's smirk softened into a genuine expression as she listened to Kirito's heartfelt words. "Kirito, I wouldn't have bothered crossing worlds just to mess around," she admitted, her tone earnest. "There's more at stake here than meets the eye."

She then met his gaze squarely. "As for the ultimate truth, well, let's just say it's a concept we both understand differently. In my world, there are no absolutes—only concepts shaped by our experiences."

Kurumi's eyes held a hint of sincerity as she continued, "I'll let you be the judge of whether I'm worthy of your trust or not. But know this, Kirito," she paused, her voice taking on a solemn tone, "I pledge myself to never do evil unless it serves a noble cause."

Kirito scratched his head in frustration, muttering to himself, "Why is it that I always end up in the biggest of messes?"

With a resigned sigh, he extended his hand towards Kurumi, meeting her gaze with a mixture of determination and uncertainty. "I'm choosing to trust you for now," he declared, his voice tinged with resolve.

Kurumi accepted his hand with a nod, a faint smile playing on her lips. "I'm honoured," she replied, her eyes holding a glimmer of appreciation.

But then, her expression turned serious once more. "Before we seal our partnership, there's one last thing that needs to be done," she stated, her tone carrying a sense of urgency.

Kirito's brows furrowed in surprise as he processed Kurumi's words. "Wait, what do you mean by 'one last thing'?" he asked, his curiosity piqued.

Kurumi's expression softened, a hint of regret in her eyes. "In this world, there are strict laws governing the manifestation of beings like myself," she explained solemnly. "I can not physically appear unless someone summons me, and even then, there's a penalty involved."

Kirito nodded slowly, understanding dawning on him. "So, you're saying you can't directly involve yourself in our endeavours," he concluded, a mixture of disappointment and acceptance in his tone.

Kurumi nodded in confirmation. "Exactly. But that's where you come in, Kirito," she replied, a note of reassurance in her voice. "You can carry my spirit with you, allowing me to guide and support you in your journey."

Kirito's expression softened as he considered Kurumi's words. "So, you needed me not just for my strength, but for my ability to bridge the gap between our worlds," he mused, a faint smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

Kurumi returned his smile with a nod. "Indeed, Kirito. That's one of the reasons why I chose you," she affirmed, her eyes holding a spark of conviction. "Together, we can overcome any obstacle, no matter how daunting it may seem."

With a newfound sense of purpose and determination shining in his eyes. "Then let's do this, Kurumi," he declared, his voice resolute.

Kurumi's pistol materialized in her hand with a soft hum, and she swiftly pointed it at Kirito, her expression turning serious. "Don't move," she commanded, her voice firm and commanding.