Chapter 19: The Final Fight

Yuki's POV
My phone buzzed. I pulled it off my desk and looked down at it, noticing there was a notification in my contacts app. Pressing on it, I saw it was from Kira in our group chat.

"Kori, Yuki, it's me. It's time for us to fight Neon." It read.

"I'll be there soon." I sent her the message, then turned my phone off and set it back down on my desk. I walked out of my room and headed to the front door of the house, but my Father stopped me.

"Where are you going, Yuki?"

"To help Kira."

"With what?"

"To take down Neon."

My Father crossed his arms, then shook his head.

"Right, right. You know, I really don't like you hanging out with that Kira girl so often. She's too strong for you." My Father said, shaking his head.

"Joke's on you, Father. She's my girlfriend now." I said, turning around and reaching for the doorknob in front of me.

"What did you say?" He said, sounding angry, making me turn my head around to him.

"I said-"

"I know what you said. Out of all the girls to date, why her? Why not Shelby?" Dad asked, crossing his arms and shaking his head.

"Shelby's a nuisance."

"Son, are you secretly gay?" He asked, squinting at me.

"What? No."

"Kira's going to make you gay."

Dad, she's still a girl. Huh? I tried to suppress the laugh I knew was coming up.

"How?" I said, a smile cracking, trying not to laugh.

"Give her a good look next time you see her. Her muscles shouldn't be that firm." Dad said. I watching my Mother walk up to us from behind him. She placed a hand on my Father's shoulder, giving me a familiar warm smile.

"Your Dad's saying that because he's not used to seeing girls like Kira. Go on and be with your friends, Yuki." Mom said.

"Thanks. I'll see you guys later!" I said, looking ahead of me and turning the doorknob, then I walked outside and closed the door behind me. I'm not sure how much longer I had, so I ran all the way to Kira's house. She was standing outside her house, looking around, and smiled when she saw me. I saw her holding an axe as well....very unusual.

I ran up to her, then bent over, catching my breath. Once I finished, I straightened myself back up.

"What's with the axe?"

"We're going to need it. I found a lot of information about these monsters while researching about them." Kira said, looking down at the axe in her hands, the non-sharp part hitting the back of her left hand.

"Okay. Where's Kori?" I asked.

"I was hoping you'd know. He's still coming, right?"

"Yeah, he's probably just running a little late."

"Alright, good," Kira said as she nodded, "Neon already took off shortly after I sent you guys the text message. Ran past me, and when I ran after her, she ran that way," Kira said, looking and pointing to her right.

That could only mean one thing.

"So are you saying she's in the woods?"

"I'm sure that's where she is now." Kira said.

"Kira, what did Neon look like before she left?" I asked, averting my head from where she was pointing it and turning it back to her.

"Well, when she was squatting on her floor in her room, she looked normal. The only thing not normal was her clutching her stomach....but even then we all occasionally do that, right? She told me not to come any closer, and shortly after I sent you all the text, she ran past me and outside. I tried catching up, but couldn't. Neon was too fast for me, Yuki. When I got outside to where I'm standing now, Neon was already gone."