"I... I really want to believe that this is a lie. That there was someone, orchestrating the events, to absolve you of blame. But the decision came down to you. You could've stopped it, or, at least, punished Danzo. You are just as much to blame as Itachi or Danzo are."

Hiruzen nodded. "That I am." His eyes hardened, and his posture straightened. "However, I did not tell you this just so I could get scolded by some teens. I wanted to tell you this truth because you two are becoming very prominent figures in this world very quickly. If you cannot discern who is your friend and who is your foe, you will die very, very quickly." He turned to her. "Do not believe me just because I said it. You must find your own way to anything you seek. Good night."

He disappeared in a moment.

Naruto looked at her. She could see it, the way his eyes and facial muscles twitched in guilt.

Her heart sank.

"Please," she nearly whimpered. "Please don't tell me you've been hiding something, too."

"I didn't know about the village's involvement," he said.

He was telling the truth.

"But the one thing that I do know is that Itachi asked me to protect you and Sasuke. That night, after you two passed out."

Sayuri began to tear up.

"He removed your curse mark for you. He was completely willing to trade information with me and showed no hostility.

I don't know if Hiruzen is lying or not. But all this makes a whole lot more sense than him just snapping."

The truth finally set in, and she cried into Naruto.

Her brother, her beloved older brother, had been ordered to kill his entire family over who had the right to rule. Over a simple conflict of interests. He had lost everything on that day. His family, his culture, his lover, everything connected to his childhood.

She couldn't even imagine that loss. He got picked up by the Akatsuki, renounced his former village, the land of a bygone era, and did everything it took to protect her and Sasuke, no matter how dirty his hands got.

Naruto said nothing, and only hugged her tighter.

It was probably better that way.

"Should we tell Sasuke?"

She nodded, not wanting to talk.

Sasuke, can you hear me?

---

Fucking bootlicker, Sasuke said. Still, there was a fondness, some measure of relief.

I thought you'd be pissed, Naruto said.

Oh, I am, it's just, that's more of the Itachi I knew. He's still predictable.

So, are you going to give up on killing Itachi, or?

What kind of question is that? Sasuke scoffed. Of course I'm still going to kill him. He's not someone who went mad with power, he's a man who deepthroats the boot so hard it comes out his ass. And that pisses me off more.

Good to see you're resolute as ever.

Sayuri wiped the last of her tears away.

Are you going to back out, Sayuri?

Hell no.

Oh, yeah, Naruto. When I see you again, we're gonna fight. You couldn't tell me that sooner?