Chapter 39

Naruto grinned as he and Jiraiya finally caught sight of the gates.

"It's been a while," he quietly said.

Jiraiya laughed. "That it has been, kiddo. How do you think your friends have been?"

Naruto smiled. "I'll just see for myself! They must have held up well, they're some of the most talented people in my generation!"

Jiraiya shook his head and laughed. "Hah, you must have a high opinion of them."

"Is it undeserved, though?"

Jiraiya smirked. "Well, we're here, kid. You wanna announce it to the world?"

Naruto shook his head. "They'll find out for themselves quickly enough."

The gate guards gaped at Jiraiya.

"Ah! Lord Jiraiya, it's good to see you again!" The two bowed.

Jiraiya chortled. "It's about that time now, isn't it?"

Naruto leapt up onto a power pole and looked out.

Still looks the same as it always did.

What, did you expect to see a new face on that mountain? Almost nothing has happened here for the past few years, of course it looks the same, Kurama said.

Naruto snorted, and jumped down.

"Alright, who should I go see first...?"

"Oh, Naruto, you're back?" Shikamaru asked.

"Yeah, I am. It's good to see you, Shikamaru. And, Temari, is that you? How's Gaara?"

"Gaara's doing well, thank you. He'll probably be made Kazekage soon." She leaned on one side.

"I still don't understand how he isn't already Kage," Shikamaru said. "He's incredibly competent, from what I saw when we were in Suna."

He's different, Naruto thought. He's so much more focused. Could that have...?

"Haha, that's amazing. I'm super proud of him. So how are you two doing together?"

"Together? I don't know where you got that from," Shikamaru said, taking a quarter-step away from Temari.

"Together with who? Him?" Temari scoffed.

"Anyway, it was good seeing you, but I have to go do something." Shikamaru walked off.

The door jingled.

"Oh, Naruto! You're back?" Ino asked. She finished bundling up a bouquet for a man. "So, you've changed a lot, haven't you?"

"It's been four years," Naruto laughed. "How could I not have changed? How've you been?"

"I'm fine," she said.

"You're lying. I can see it."

She laughed. "Using your emotion-sensing? That's not fair."

"It's passive. I couldn't stop it if I tried by now."

"Come in the back room." She motioned for him to follow.

"Well, you're right. I'm... honestly, I'm doing pretty awful right now. Mom's got a new baby, and dad's swamped with work, so I'm managing the flower shop by myself. We've got a new teammate, but I can't get over the fact that he's not Choji." She choked back a sob. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry. I know the feeling too."

"I need to go back out. It's good seeing you again, Naruto. When things get better, I'll give you a bouquet, free of charge."