Chapter 21

"If both sides are ready," the proctor began. "You may begin."

Naruto screamed, an unholy sound undetectable by the human ear.

It worked all too well on the three standing in front of them.

Naruto was about to bash Hikaru in the face when the genjutsu went really, really wrong.

It was supposed to keep an assailant rooted in place.

See, Genjutsu is a curious art. By injecting one's spiritual energy into another, one can dominate another's psyche, yet this is only useful so long as the soul of one is much stronger than another.

But something surged in all three of them. Naruto had just enough time to see his pommel slam into Hikaru's half-sheathed blade. The steel rang like a bell. "Huh."

A grin, and Hikaru kicked him in the ribs. Naruto braced and grappled with him. They both hit the concrete floor with a thud.

Sasuke side-stepped a swing from Moesashi. "I'm surprised you're not tired, swinging that giant sword around." Really, calling it a sword was a lie.

A sizable amount over two meters long, with a single steel edge that sloped upwards. Over half a meter wide plated with wood. It glowed blue in intricate patterns. Fuinjutsu. "This blade has fuinjutsu inscribed on it to lower its mass," Moesashi explained.

"Jutsu matrices, not fuinjutsu," Sasuke corrected. "Also, nice sword."

"Thanks."

Sasuke supposed he would've been more focused on surviving if he didn't have the perception and time to admire it. These guys were slow in comparison to Kakashi.

He was no Sayuri, but even he could appreciate good swords when he saw them.

He grimaced and sped through the seals.

Boar- Ram- Dragon.

Lightning Style: Electromagnetic Murder!

The tendrils of electricity were harmlessly absorbed into the sword-turned-shield before Moesashi hoisted it over his shoulder like a fishing pole. One particular section began to glow a bright red.

Sasuke, to his credit, backed the hell away.

The sword was surrounded by a mass of swirling flame.

"Oh hell," Sasuke said before he slashed down.

Sayuri flipped over Kyofu's air blast. She re-adjusted her tessen before firing another pressurised blast.

Sayuri sheathed her sword before moving to return the favour. "You should have more style in your fights."

Boar- Horse- Tiger.

She spat out a ball of flame, which was split apart by her fan.

Her weapon is a lot like those from Suna, but it's also very different.

She leapt into Kyofu's guard. Kyofu closed her fan before they clashed. She batted away Sayuri's punch.

The follow up kick was much more successful by comparison.

Naruto was about to slash Hikaru before Kyofu slid next to his foot. He paused for a moment to take in this new information.

A moment too long.

Hikaru formed seals.

Dragon- Snake- Ram- Rat- Boar- Ox.

Lightning crackled around his fingertips before it sprayed out in jets. Naruto was blown back before he slammed into the wall.