Chapter 460: Research Base

Start from the beginning

Under these circumstances, the casualties of the defenders rapidly piled up while the Inheritors lost less and less mechs with each pass. Eventually, the Vesian mechs broke and abandoned the outer wall. They contracted their lines and congregated at a smaller but more defensible inner wall.

The Inheritors pulled back into the sky while the landbound mechs slowly climbed over the outer walls and made their way to the inner walls.

At this point, Ves pretty much considered the battle to be over. The ballistic rifleman mechs already expended most of their ammunition by now, and the laser rifleman mechs lost too many of their number to pose a serious threat to the Vandals.

Everyone in the command center loosened their shoulders. Even Major Verle started to sit back in his chair. As long as the Vesians holed up in the inner sanctum of the lunar fortress didn't spring them a surprise, the moon was as good as conquered.

"How is the assault on the research base progressing?" Major Verle turned to another officer who had been tasked with taking care of the third moon.

"Sir, we have been forced to halt our mech deployment when we detected signs of heightened mech activity."

Verle frowned. "What have you detected?"

"Resonance."

Everyone briefly paused when they heard that word. Resonance could be detected at a fair distance under certain circumstances. Anytime a sensor detected resonance, a lot of other sensors would point their arrays in the direction in question.

"Is it confirmed?"

"It's confirmed, sir. The Vesian researchers aren't being circumspect about it. They're actively flaunting it as if to warn us back. In response, I aborted the drop lest we risk our combat carriers."

"You made the right decision."

The Vandals only allocated two companies to assault the research base, which should have been enough to overrun most bases of that size. As their ships orbited closer and closer to the moon, their scanners detected even less active mechs than projected. It should have been a cakewalk to take over the research base, but the presence of a resonating mech threw all of their projections out the window.

A heavy weight descended on the command center.

"Strength?"

"Thirteen laveres."

Some of the specialists let out a sigh. The resonance wasn't as strong as everyone feared. Ves incidentally learned a lot about resonance through the System, so he knew the significance of detecting a strength of 13 laveres.

One of the early pioneers of mech design came up with a standardized scale of measurement to determine the strength of resonance between an elite mech pilot and a mech that was geared for resonance. Master Lavere named his own scale after himself, and for some reason the entire mech industry accepted it over other proposed measurement units.

In a nutshell, a lavere measured the overall amplifying strength of resonance at a scale of 1 to 10,000.

An expert pilot that barely ascended into the ranks of the elites would measure just slightly above 1.

A newly ascended ace pilot possessed could exert at least 67 laveres of resonance.

God pilots started out with a whopping amount of 1545, and was theoretically able to flex their ability to resonate with mechs until they reached the arbitrary number 10,000.

What happened after that, nobody knew, because no god pilot ever lived to grow to such a monstrous level.

The exact mathematics behind the lavere scale was very complicated. The scale wasn't linear, so an expert mech that measured 20 laveres wasn't stronger than another expert mech that reached a level of resonance of only 10 laveres.