Chapter 459: Lunar Fortress

Start from the beginning

A lot of signs showed that the perimeter used to be very rocky, but the defenders deliberately cleared away the rocks and flattened the overall surroundings in order to deny any approaching enemy on land the benefit of cover.

"Heat signatures detecting! Incoming laser fire!"

The mechs atop the walls already started firing potshots at the approaching scout companies from the air and on the surface of the moon. Major Verle made a quick judgement and held his scouts on a leash, not wishing to go further and risk them getting attacked by a prepared volley.

The slower companies caught up while the scouts flanked the fortress. After a few more moments of preparation, the assault began.

"Attack! Breach the fortress and finish off the defenders!"

A heavy amount of firepower poured into the walls of the fortress, diminishing it at a surprisingly low pace. The walls had been laced with an abundant amount of junk exotics as well as a few more valuable substances, which was much more than standard. The cost to erect this fortress must be at least three times as much as a regular fortification!"

"The Detemen II is a resource processing center." Alloc reminded Major Verle. "Many materials are shipped in and out of this star system. Those fortress walls are laced with Brown Laxanite, which is famed for their ability to dampen shocks. That increases the resilience of the walls by at least half!"

"Is there anything else you can tell about the walls, Mr. Brandstad?"

Alloc furrowed his brows. Ves passed him a couple of observations, but none of them were notable enough to be mentioned.

"No, sir, only to state that the walls rely on Laxanite to withstand explosive and kinetic attacks, while utilizing their enormous mass to neuter any laser fire. It's incredibly resilient against every conventional damage type."

That left out a lot of weapons with strange effects, such as the Greater Terran United Confederation's Destroyer Weapons. One slice of a Destroyer Sword would easily be able to part the thick walls in half.

Naturally, the Vandals didn't carry anything like that.

"We're going to have to do this the old-fashioned way. Inheritors! Prepare to dive in!"

Major Verle constantly showed his impatience. Ves gathered that the commander wasn't being reckless, but the importance of staying on schedule weighed heavily on the entire mech regiment.

They only had four days to play with, and that was only an estimate of their allotted time. The Vesian reinforcements might come sooner or later, but the Vandals didn't count on getting lucky in that regard.

While much of the lower ranks of the Vandals remained ignorant, Colonel Lowenfield and her most trusted subordinates like Major Verle planned for this operation for years. They always intended to make a far-ranging raid on a star system deep within Kingdom space.

The Detemen System had actually been selected as a potential longshot candidate due to its stability, relative wealth and lack of internal conflicts.

That last point proved to be pivotal to this attack. Many star systems with a little bit more wealth might allow the Vandals to earn a bigger harvest, but their riches attracted plenty of ambitious nobles.

Not so for this star system. Detemen II was the main seat of House Jier, and while it would be possible to dislodge them, Count Reizen established lots of ties with his neighbors, which minimized the occurrence of violent conflicts.

As for Detemen IV, no one wanted to touch Lord Javier. As the sole son of Count Loqer, any other local noble would practically be committing suicide if they touched that planet.