Chapter 1

The salt air riding on the wind was a calming thing. It reminded one of freedom and fresh air and possibility. Chasing the high of wondering what the next horizon would bring brought excitement and wonder. Or at least it did four months ago.

Now the salt air reminded Eliza of the prison she stood on. Of the endless waves surrounding her as their ship bobbed across the Atlantic. The cold wet had long ago permeated the ship's insides so that everything felt of damp. Now her eyes hungrily chased the horizon looking for a speck, a light, life. She felt as though the bravery she'd had on that shipyard all those months ago had melded into an apprehension she awoke with each day.

Eliza paced to the other side of the ship. Maybe there was land in sight there. Tugging her knit shawl tighter, she squinted at more gray waves that seemed to go on forever. 

"Are you hungry? Cook made some half decent rolls today. Not sure what kind of flour he used since the fresh supply went out last week, but they're not stone hard." Eliza glanced down at the railing beside her where a dirty blonde stood peeling at a small roll. Standing a couple of inches shorter, Hattie had a mischievous air and a willowy frame to match her humorous personality. Just a few months shy of Eliza, she was the closest thing to a sister Eliza had and her constant joyful comments had made the journey bearable. 

With no funds and no family, Hattie had grown up under Eliza's wing as her Father's ward. A small merchant with a single store front had provided enough for the trio to have a warm but simple life. One of the less busy corners of London was where their shop was located and had been the pride of both Eliza and her Father. That pride dimmed as shinnier buildings encroached on their block and last winter, a rattling cough had taken residence in her Father. No doctor could help and no amount of warm soups or compresses aided in his health. Eliza held onto the store with her usual iron fortitude, but her strength could do nothing for her Father's rapid decline. After months of struggle, he passed just six months prior. 

Sharp tears pricked her eyes as she recalled the business partners and suppliers drying up after finding that a woman would be running the shop. The greedy developers only had to wait for her coffers to run dry as she turned to her Aunt in America for assistance. Surely a woman with a full farm could offer a few extra pounds. Sadly by the time a response came, the shop was almost bankrupt. Eliza could only grimly sign the papers as her life's work was bought from beneath her. 

Her Aunt was more than sympathetic at Eliza and Hattie's plight as she offered safe haven in America. Tickets were swiftly acquired and all her worldly belongings tucked away in a trunk two levels down. She wondered if the damp had crept into that as well.

Hattie's blue eyes flicked up to Eliza with amusement as she took in the pinched lips and iron grip on her shawl. 

"I already had one earlier Hattie. And calling that edible is ridiculous." She turned back to the water expecting a miracle to have occurred while she was turned away. A soft chuckle filled the air as Hattie leaned in to the wood railing with her. 

"Come on Eliza. You can't go bother the captain again or attempt to scale the sails. He already said any day now we'll land in the New World and you'll have your warm earth to stand on and your muddy streets to walk through again. Maybe we'll even see a native! Do you know if the rumors they say in the papers are true? I just don't think skinning people for lamps is true." A small plop into the waves below showed that Hattie had given up on the bitter crust she was peeling. Eliza just wrapped up tighter and prayed for some more sunlight. She ignored Hattie's ramblings as she pressed on to her goal.

"You know, we've had better winds these last few days. The sails are full and the wind has kept me up the last few nights. No rain over the last week either so I think we're in for land soon." She reached into the pocket of her dress and absentmindedly turned the softened edges of the letter she had folded there. Turning it over and over, she felt calm wash over her and continued to sharply stare at the sea. 

A warm hand settled on Eliza's arm. She glanced down at her friend's fingers and stopped turning the page. "I know you're worried. And I know this was a big risk for you. Leaving London was no small choice, but think of the life you're moving into. We've come this far, Eliza. Of course we'll make it." Hattie's hand squeezed and dropped as she offered a soft smile. Bits of blonde hair fluttered in the wind as the sailors bustled around the deck, tying ropes and blustering about the weather holding.

"You and me," Eliza said with a bit more hope in her eyes.

"You and me," Hattie said. "And your Aunt of course," a giggle escaped as Hattie slapped the railing.

"She's kind to take us in! And yes, we will be getting our hands dirty with farm work. I'll leave the chickens to you though. Aunt says there's sunshine and green for miles. Can you imagine?" Eliza's eyes slid shut as she tilted her head back. "I think the first thing I'll do is....walk a mile barefoot. Maybe climb a tree. Oh Hattie, I can't wait." 

Whipping her head over to her friend, Eliza had a serious expression. "I mean, with Father gone and my only prospect being John, you know I couldn't stay. Being a parson's wife is a stable position but I needed to get out. I needed some perspective. Also you know he always loved his sermons and books far more than he could have ever loved me."

Hattie had a knowing grin as she fiddled with the hem of her sleeve. "I just hope you can handle a plow the same way you handled the shop. And who knows? Maybe you'll meet a strong, strapping lad to help you with that plow." Hattie burst into giggles and Eliza laughed. Her cheeks stretched with a smile felt good after the months of grief and stress. Maybe there would be good to come. Maybe there was a future in the unknown new world they would soon see.

"Yes but if I find a strapping lad, do you think he'll have a brother for you?" Hattie's giggles descended into full laughter that caused a few heads to turn. The exhausted and grim sailors didn't much consider the two of them laughing along the railing and turned back to their tasks. 

Just as Eliza looped her arm through Hattie's and began her trek back down into the bowels of the ship to her cramped room, she heard the lookout shout out, "Land ho!"