Piper hadn't mentioned Caiden's forgotten powers since that day, either—nor had I, for that matter. A proper time to bring up blood manipulation had yet to present itself in my busy schedule.

However, Piper seemed to have cooled down a bit. She and Caiden had started talking again without snapping at each other, so her previous attitude must've resulted from the shock. I'd felt the same way after witnessing Caiden's full power on display during his fight with Apollo.

The young Armor Wing had stepped out from the shadows the day after I'd beaten Reza's animations. She'd been watching me train silently on top of whatever rock or hill seemed most comfortable, depending on the day.

I supposed that was a good sign. However, seeing her observe my progress with those narrow eyes was far more uncomfortable than merely sensing her observing me. Mistakes were no longer an option. Knowing she was assessing me was motivating but scary, too.

My shadow opponent pulled its hand back to prepare for another attack. It gave me the opening I needed.

I stepped back to the left as the shadow man advanced again. I curled my left hand into a tight fist and aimed for its jaw—bullseye.

My opponent fumbled back. I grumbled, annoyed. I would've knocked it to the ground if I had struck it with my right hand. I needed to work on my left hook.

No matter. I still had the upper hand.

I advanced again and thrust my sharpened elbow into the soft space between what would have been the shadow man's ribs.

It bent forward, and I thrust the heel of my hand upward to strike its jaw. I clenched my jaw to ignore the pain shooting through my arm. My opponent was losing balance. I had to finish it now.

I dropped to the ground and swept the shadow man's legs away underneath it. A loud thump was the only sound I heard—no rattling breath, no scream of pain, nothing.

There was no time to dwell on those missing details. My opponent was already getting up again.

I jumped forward and wrapped my legs around its slender neck. Pain erupted throughout my back as I landed hard against the ground. I struggled to save my breath from leaving my lungs while keeping the thrashing shadow pinned between my legs.

Everything in me screamed at me to let the shadow man go. My muscles burned, my bones threatened to snap, and my head pounded vigorously. Still, I didn't let go. This shadow was the last of them.

"Okay!" Apollo shouted, his breath strained. "I give up, Will! I yield."

I exhaled, relieved when my opponent stopped struggling and melted into my shadow shortly after.

Apollo's shadow warriors had been much harder to defeat than Reza's animations. They had been creepier, too.

Their bodies were made of pure shadow. They were as solid as a human body, but their shell was as cold as ice and as clammy as humid air. I thoroughly despised the feeling of touching them, but they were good-sparing partners.

"Spirits." Apollo dumped himself next to a stone pillar, struggling to catch his breath. He wiped his damp brow on his sleeve, his hands trembling. His powers must be taking a toll on him. "I need a break."

"Stop whining, Apollo," Reza snapped from her corner.

I snorted and immediately winced from the pain rippling through my body. Everything hurt, yet my body hummed still with energy.

Apollo had conjured fifty shadow warriors of all shapes and sizes, strength and agility. I had fought them all and won with nothing but my bleeding fists.