On the battlefield, this youth had stabilized the entire western border, and now in the court, all the pressure in the empire had been laid on his shoulders. Gao Xianzhi had only heard about all the things that had happened while he was in the Western Regions, like King Song being poisoned, Zhangchou Jianqiong being attacked, and the various incidents concerning the Confucian Sect, but Wang Chong had been through all of them. Gao Xianzhi didn’t dare to imagine what the empire would look like if Wang Chong hadn’t been there.

The empire needed this youth more than anyone else at a moment like this!

Unknowingly, without even the man himself realizing it, Wang Chong had become the center of the empire.

This was why, rather than following custom and reporting to the Imperial Court and the First Prince upon his return, he had chosen to have a private meeting with Wang Chong.

The carriage was quiet as Wang Chong thought.

At this time, the two Great Generals were deeply concerned about this massive empire that had prospered for several centuries. In truth, this was a concern shared by all the generals on the border, but it had remained pent up in their hearts.

“Did you bring the thing I asked of you?” Wang Chong asked.

“Mm!”

Gao Xianzhi sternly nodded.

“I thought that you didn’t want it. You need only ask, and I and all the generals on the border will support you.”

As Gao Xianzhi spoke, he took a prepared letter from his bosom and passed it over. Wang Chong didn’t even glance at it before putting it away. Gao Xianzhi did not ask and Wang Chong did not look. The two seemed to share a tacit understanding.

After giving the letter to Wang Chong, Gao Xianzhi opened the door and left. The entire process had taken place without alarming a single bystander.

I should go and see that man now.

As this thought ran through Wang Chong’s mind, the carriage began to turn toward another part of the city.

After passing through various streets and thronging crowds, the carriage finally arrived at a restaurant.

Creeeak!

The carriage door opened, and Wang Chong walked out, dressed in casual clothes. In front of him was an ordinary restaurant made of gray brick, and even the roof tiles were drab and gloomy. Only the restaurant banner hanging from the second-floor balcony, black words on a red background, appeared to stand out, but even this was mottled black, appearing rather old.

‘Zhiyi Restaurant’!

Wang Chong glanced at the words written in ancient script on the placard. This was an extremely ordinary restaurant, and thousands like it could be found in the capital. They catered to the wealthier common folk.

The majority of the prices in this restaurant were very agreeable. For a few strings of cash, one could get a large bowl of food. While the quality, appearance, or variety of the food couldn’t compare to Vast Crane Pavilion, it was very tasty.

“Young Master, do you plan to eat inside?”

Wang Chong had just entered when a waiter with a white towel tossed across his shoulder came up to welcome him. He examined this youth with great curiosity. Normally, only ordinary commoners ate at the restaurant, and the likes of noble scions, members of great clans, or major merchants were incredibly rare. From the luxuriousness of Wang Chong’s clothes, one could tell at a glance that he didn’t belong here.

“Mm!”

Wang Chong grunted and strode inside.

This waiter clearly didn’t recognize him. Ordinary commoners only worried about basic necessities of life and would pay little attention to the affairs of the court. It was very normal to not know his face.