Chapter 3

We drove to a Dairy Queen and bought a generic birthday ice cream cake. Jude paid for it and said, "It's your birthday so it's on me." 

He flashed a smile. Of course, after he did that my stomach did the stupid flip it's been doing. "Where should we celebrate?" Jude asked. "We could celebrate in my car," I suggested. "That sounds like an awful birthday party." "I wouldn't know. I don't remember my old birthday parties." 

That was a lie. I remember my 5th birthday clearly. My parents took me to an amusement park that day and I ate so much cotton candy I thought I was going to throw up. When we returned home my parents brought out a beautiful white cake decorated with purple flowers piped on it. I smiled the biggest smile ever as they sang me happy birthday. Later they told me that my present was a road trip. They said I was going to go to the beach and see skyscrapers. My face fell at the memory. 

Jude must've sensed that something was wrong because he continued talking up my birthday party to try and make me feel better. "It will be the best birthday ever," he said matter-of-factly.

 I smiled. "You know I like it when you do that." "Do what?" I asked, confused. "Smile, you have a pretty smile." I blushed and my stomach did a flip. I quickly changed the subject. "So where are we going for this party?" "Would you be okay with my place?" he asked. 

"I promise I won't try anything funny," he explained hurriedly. "Okay, but I need to leave soon after to find a place to stay." "Okay." We got into his car with the cake and headed to his apartment.

                                 ************************************************************

When we got inside I was surprised to see that it was actually pretty nice. Everything was organized and all the dishes were done. I could never do that. The kitchen was open to the living room with a beautiful island and fancy couches. There was even a flat-screen TV on the wall! 

"Nice place," I stated. "Thanks. Let's eat here," he said as he pointed to the coffee table." "Okay. Sorry in advance if I ruin something." "I doubt you will." "You haven't even known me for a day" "And I have yet to see you trip on something or spill anything." He has a point. "Okay," I said, resigned. "Not my fault if ice cream gets on the carpet then," I said as I plopped down between the couch and coffee table. 

As he set the cake down and went to look for candles in the kitchen, I took the opportunity to snoop. 

Any hidden knives? Scary weapons? I didn't see any but on the end table, there was a picture. 

It was Jude and an old lady. She was looking at him lovingly and smiling. Jude was wearing a high school graduation cap and robe. They look so happy. "Isn't she lovely?" I jumped back, surprised and embarrassed I was caught snooping around. I muttered an apology under my breath. "No need to be sorry. You were just curious. That's my grandma by the way." "Oh, I see. Does she visit often? She looks like she really loves you." His face fell. "No, she passed not too long ago." "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." "At least she got to see me graduate." "Yeah." There was an awkward silence. My parents didn't see me graduate. 

"Well, let's light this cake, shall we? I'll sing, you just sit there and look pretty, alright?" He called me pretty again. I started to blush, but then Jude started singing. 

And let me just say Oh My God he CANNOT sing. It sounded like a bird was dying. 

I started laughing and giggling at his dancing and singing. I smiled as he finished and he smiled. He sat down next to me "Well, go on, make a birthday wish." I blew out the candles and made my wish. 

"Well, what did you wish for?" "Aren't these supposed to be a secret?" "Yeah, but you could tell me, right?" He asked hopefully. 

I shook my head. He gave me a pouty face and stuck out his tongue. He started cutting the cake and handed me a piece. 

"This is good. I don't know if anything can beat ice cream cake," I declared. 

As I said that, Jude reached over and took some of my ice cream cake. "Hey!" I shouted. He stuck his tongue out at me. I reached for his plate but he slid it away. I tried again but my hand slipped and I fell on top of him. My cheeks flushed and the air buzzed. Then he leaned closer. 

Is he going to- 

I didn't have time to finish the thought because his mouth slammed into mine. He started slow but then got deeper. Our arms and legs became entangled. 

When we finally broke apart I said, "I retract my previous statement. That was definitely better than ice cream cake."

 "Definitely. Want to watch a movie?" 

"Sure. What movie?" 

"How about Minions?" 

"Isn't that a kids movie?" 

"Aw, but I am a kid." I laughed. 

"Fine, no car crash scenes, right?" 

"I don't think there are?" 

"Okay, Minions it is."