Chapter 10

On our way back, we talk about all the places in the world we want to travel and explore—Machu Picchu, Victoria Falls, Patagonia, the Great Pyramid of Giza. Aminata wants to sail the Great Lakes and ride the Trans-Siberian Railway from Moscow to Vladivostok. When I tell her I've always wanted to ride the Trans-Siberian, she clasps my hand in hers and says, "We should travel the world together, William. After I have finished medical school."

"I'd—love that," I say, my heart fluttering as she squeezes my hand.

When we get to the orchard, she waves goodbye and takes a shortcut to the road. "Will I see you tomorrow?" I ask.

"Okay," she shrugs. "What time?"

"You choose."

"Nine o'clock?"

She giggles and shakes her head like I've said something funny, then says, "Okay, see you at nine, baby girl. Under the mango tree behind your house."

After guzzling two cups of water, I go upstairs to find Waldo playing F1 Race in the hammock. I expect him to say something nasty, but he just keeps lying there with the beak of his cap pulled down over his eyes, scowling.

When I sit at the table and open my journal, he shouts "Fuck you!" and I think he's shouting at me, but when I look up he's still scowling at the Game Boy.

My mind keeps going back to the falls. It feels like I've just woken from a dream. What a magical place. What a magical girl. What if I'd kissed her? Why did she call me beautiful? And a baby girl? And does she really want to travel the world with me?

My hand starts doodling in my journal, and I realize it's a picture of a dragonfly with the falls and the jungle in the background. It looks awesome and I want to show Waldo, but he shouts "Fuck you!" again, so I unwrap his milk candy and pop it in my mouth.

When Dad and Mom get home, I expect Waldo to rat on me, but he just keeps lying there, scowling, listening to Walkman and playing Game Boy. As Ellie's violin starts screeching downstairs, Dad shouts, "William, time for your practice!"

As I go downstairs, I slide my hand along the railing and remember the feel the energy flowing through me as I looked into her eyes, and the feel of my hand in hers. I've never met someone so alive, so free. While I'm playing piano, I imagine she's listening, putting a hand on my shoulder, singing along, her eyes half-closed and head swaying. Over dinner, Mom and Dad talk about school, the hospital and the fighting in the south.

"A soldier came in today with a gunshot wound," Dad says. "Claimed he was shot by a rebel spy."

Normally Waldo would get excited about news like this, but instead he just keeps gazing toward the mountains, slouched over his plate.

"What did you two get up to today?" Mom asks. "Did you do your maths and English like I asked?"

I hold my breath and look at Waldo, expecting him to wake from his trance and reveal everything. But he doesn't.

"Yep," I say quickly, smiling at Mom.

"Sit up straight and pull your chair in, Waldo," Dad says. "And eat your dinner before it gets cold."

~

In the morning, I wake with butterflies between my legs.

In my dreams, Aminata and I were kissing by the falls. She ran her hands through my hair and looked deep into my eyes and told me she loves me, and I told her that I love her back. How fucked up is that? We hardly even know each other. Yet it feels like I've known her forever.