ꜰʟᴏᴡᴇʀꜱ || Shinobu x Reader

[Reader will be Gender Neutral unless mentioned.]

[Warning: Mention of blood, death, fake disease]

♥♥♥

You stood in the balcony. Looking at the scenery in front of you was calming. What was even more calming, was the chirping of the crickets. The warm summer breeze hit your skin. As you were distracted by your own thoughts, you didn't notice the creaking of the wooden floor. Someone was coming towards you.

You turned around and your eyes were met with the ones of Shinobu. She looked as if she wanted to say something but was hesitant to do so. You then remembered something. She didn't come out of her room the entire day. Her eyes looked tired. Her body looked weak. Did she catch a cold? You opened your mouth to ask if she was alright. But she spoke up first.

"Ah, don't worry about me, (Y/N)-san. I'm just tired."

She said and smiled hesitantly. Your gut was telling you that she was lying. She didn't just look tired. But you didn't question it. You just replied with a simple "okay?", and went back to enjoying the view. Before you knew, Shinobu had already left. You were concerned. Why was she spending so much time in her room?

~~♥~~

An hour or 2 has already passed. You were in your room, sitting on the edge of the bed. Your bedroom was next to Shinobu's one. As you prepared for bed, you could hear coughing from her room. You asked,

"Shinobu-chan? You alright?", you asked loud enough so that she could hear you. A few seconds later...

"Yeah! I'm okay! I- cough cough D-don't worry about me!"

The dry cough. It didn't sound like she was doing well. You could tell that she was only saying those to reassure you. You got out of your room and closed the door behind you. As you knocked at Shinobu's bedroom door, it slid open and Shinobu peeked her head out, looking up at you. The short Hashira looked weaker than the last time you saw her, which was 2 hours ago.

"Yes, (Y/N)-san?"

"Are you sure you're doing well? You look weaker than before. And you rarely come out of your roo-"

She interrupted, "I'm okay! Just-... just go get some sleep!" she said as she shut the door right at your face. Rude? You thought. As you went back into your room, you could hear her coughing again.

~~♥~~

Time passed. Shinobu grew more distant with you. Always locking herself in her room and rarely coming out. You could hear her coughing every night. Until one night, it was silent. You could only hear the crickets outside, and the rustling of leaves. Only for it to go silent all of a sudden...

The silence wasn't peaceful. It was eerie to say the least. You slowly fell asleep. No background noise bothering you. As you fell into a deep slumber, you heard a raspy voice whisper,

"It's all your fault..."

 You jolt awake. Looking around for the source of the noise, you saw nothing. Were you afraid? Of course. What could've made that noise? You thought as you still searched for the source. Finding nothing, you went back to sleep. The rest of the night was silent...

~~♥~~

You woke up early in the morning to the sound of Aoi crying and yelling,

"No! NO! Wake up! Please! Shinobu-san! Wake up, please wake up!"

You ran out of your room and went to Shinobu's bedroom. As you entered the room, you saw Aoi and Kanao trying to wake Shinobu up. The triplets were crying. Shinobu was dead. There was blood dripping from her mouth, on the bed, and the floor. What confused you the most was, there were flower petals as well.

Hanahaki... You thought. Did she actually like me this whole time? Then why didn't she tell me that?

"Why didn't you give her any sort of medicine?" You asked Aoi.

Still sobbing, she replied, "Medicine can't fix that disease.."

~~♥~~

Nights went sleepless after that incident. You felt empty after her death. Remembering her, you still cry sometimes. But there's still a question the the back of your mind...

𝒲𝒽𝒶𝓉  𝓌𝒶𝓈  𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉  𝓋𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒  𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉  𝒷𝓁𝒶𝓂𝑒𝒹  𝓎𝑜𝓊  𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉  𝒹𝒶𝓎?

~~♥~~

[Words count: 672]