Chapter 14: Corvyne and Tarkan Visit the Alchemist

It was the time of the afternoon when most people went indoors, or to the city park, or the baths, and so Market Street was quiet. Many of the stalls were closed, but Corvyne had not come to shop. Tarkan examined an amulet, turning it delicately in his palm, while the bored shopkeeper silently sized up Corvyne's wealth.

"What do you think of it?" Tarkan asked.

"It's a bit garish." Corvyne answered, paying little attention. He had intended his comment only as the customary opening volley in the game of the marketplace, but the young Rider put the jewelry back quickly, and looked hurt.

"Which one do you like?" Tarkan asked, pouting slightly.

Corvyne bent over the counter with little interest and examined the wares over the rims of his glasses. Tarkan stood behind him, arms crossed. Corvyne selected a twisted silver circle on a delicate chain.

"This one is well done, and the symbol is a powerful one."

"Tell me about it." Tarkan said, tossing his dark curls out of his eyes.

"A circle is endless and complete, and can never lose its energy. A band has two sides, which are united by the twist, see?"

Corvyne ran his finger around the band of metal to demonstrate how both sides were the same. 

Tarkan reached out to run his finger over the band and Corvyne handed it to him.

The Seer adjusted his glasses and explained, "The symbol represents unity and boundless energy that can never grow stagnant."

Corvyne considered the Rider's remarkable journey, to Imiatt and back before the turn of a full cycle. Boundless energy, indeed.

Tarkan took the amulet. "It's perfect."

"That's what the philosophers say."

"Will you buy it for me?"

Corvyne sighed, and said, "I suppose... though your enthusiasm has ruined my chance of getting a fair price."

The shopkeeper smiled wryly and named an outrageous price.

"Luckily, I'm perfectly willing to disappoint you," Corvyne said, as he took the piece of jewelry from Tarkan's hands and set it on the counter.

"Come." Corvyne turned to walk away. The shopkeeper stopped him with a new figure. "I'll give you half of that." Corvyne was impatient for this whole episode to be over. He had little interest in the market, but he felt that he should be circumspect on his way to Crowley's shop, so he put on the facade of a casual shopper and made his way slowly toward his destination. He needed to know what the Rider Tarkan had learned in Imiatt, and for that he had to convene the Council. The most important decision the Seer would make depended on this knowledge. The Emperor's betrothal was Corvyne's decision to make, and the entire Empire had been waiting three years for his decision. Now the time had come.

The Astrologies indicated a time of great change, with protracted waxing in nearly every house. That meant a time of danger, but also great opportunity. It meant that the rituals would need to be observed meticulously, so that nothing was obscured or misinterpretted. With all of this weighing on his mind, Corvyne led Tarkan slowly through the market, playing a charade of browsing and shopping, waiting for anything that felt amiss, and hoping that the boy knew the rituals well enough to fulfill his role.

As one of the leading Imperial officials, Corvyne should have insisted on paying in scrip, but he did not have the patience to try to convince the merchant to take paper payment, so he counted out a handful of small coins on the counter. Tarkan took the necklace and put it on.